airports for Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just starting to plan a 5 day jolly to there next year. Ideally I'd go from Gatwick and Easyjet go to Marseilles. Is that a good option or is there a nearer airport?
If I can get closer it means I can cycle to the hotel rather than car-hire or train.
Also is Carpentras a good place to find cheap hotels within attack distance or is there somewhere better?

Cheers Rich

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Lots of info here:
http://www.veloventoux.com/index.htm
Had dealings with them in the past - very helpful. Could be a good base rather than a hotel

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've looked at them and I'm sure they're very good but they charge £45 per night per person for B&B and £40 pp transfer from the airport.
3 of us shared a nice room near Bourg d'Oisans this year for 40 euros a night and 4 of us could hire a car for less than £160 to do the transfer.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
There's a Eurostar service direct to Avignon in the summer - no idea when it restarts - and indirect services all year. Avignon is close enough for cycling all the way to Ventoux.

niedermeyer

You can fly direct to Avignon from Southampton (flybe I think). Nimes is closer than Marseille also, Ryanair from Luton. I think Rich P might find eurostar prices a bit rich!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Gatwick is very close to me and is first choice therefore. BA fly to Marseilles which means slightly further to Ventoux but they take the bikes for free and it's possible to book this far ahead, unlike with the budget airlines.
Is Carpentras a reasonable base?
It's not that I'm a cheapskate Niedermeyer but you're right, Eurostar is attractive but at £194 return to Avignon and £25 return from Brighton to Ashford it is a little pricey.

Top Bottom