Airzound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
The other time I've heard people find them useful is if you're riding on a shared path and there are peds in front who don't budge at your bell, either because they are i-podded up, or are just being arsey...
If they're being arsey, all the more reason not to rattle their cage by using an Airzound. Not a good idea IMO.

domd1979

Veteran
Car horns tend to be used most at lower speeds - you hardly ever hear them used on higher speed roads like motorways/dual carriageways, probably because car horns aren't that effective above motorway din. My experience is that on motorways, headlights tend to be used as the main means of communicating displeasure (rightly or wrongly).

I've got an Airzound on my bike, it never gets used on pedestrians (neither does my bell), and only occasionally towards drivers. They definitely have their uses - for example... in a mandatory cycle lane that I use, which on the way home I'd usually be going faster than other traffic, the horn is useful to give a quick blast on approaching people who are driving on the white line or actually over into the cycle lane, which usually moves them back over to the right leaving me the lane to go through safely. Equally it also gets used on the occasional cutter upperer.

Tynan said:
I never hear drivers revelling in how loud their horns are, something weighing a ton plus travelling at speeds at up to 100mph should have something loud on to warn people, stopping distances and all that

but I've already posted that anyway

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan's half-right in that they are far too loud to use on pedestrians, but I'd say he's wrong that they're no use for cars. They're excellent when used properly, as in warning another driver rather than punishing them, they really get attention and respect in a way that a shout or a bell never would.

And I've no idea why anyone would think you can't brake or swerve at the same time as using the horn. You can do this on a motorbike or in a car, so why not on a bicycle?

domd1979

Veteran
In my case, I can't reach the airzound whilst operating the brake!

BentMikey said:
And I've no idea why anyone would think you can't brake or swerve at the same time as using the horn. You can do this on a motorbike or in a car, so why not on a bicycle?

Tynan

Veteran
never said they're no use for cars

I ride a scooter all the time and I defy anyone to get on the horn in a genuine emergency stop, suspect that's exactly the same for a bike too, the only noise you get for a real emergency is tyres skidding

if you're breaking as hard as you can, there's a certain amount of steering to take care of

I hear the responsible restrained users, most of these zound threads have people posting about how loud they are and how much they startled and/or frightened other road users, one of the first posts on here was such a post

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
domd1979 said:
In my case, I can't reach the airzound whilst operating the brake!

Ah well, that's decidedly less useful! This is probably why I don't have one on my fixed wheel with drops, but do on the recumbent.

(The recumbent airzound is a modified one, with a 2litre coke bottle stashed in the tailfairing).

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
looks like another choice, hi-viz, music etc.

Got my airzound, had a few instances where a horn would have been useful, so it'll go on the bike.

Doesn't have to be an emergency to use it. Its to let other people know you're there

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:

Your post said that airzounds have no place at 20mph in traffic, or on pedestrians. That implies you think bike airzounds shouldn't be used towards car drivers either.

Ive had a couple of occasions when one would have been useful but on second thoughts I rather have my hands on the bar on those occasions.

How compact are they? I hate leaving something on my bike somebody can fiddle with when its parked.

Wolf04

Tynan said:

I ride a scooter all the time and I defy anyone to get on the horn in a genuine emergency stop, suspect that's exactly the same for a bike too, the only noise you get for a real emergency is tyres skidding

if you're breaking as hard as you can, there's a certain amount of steering to take care of

I hear the responsible restrained users, most of these zound threads have people posting about how loud they are and how much they startled and/or frightened other road users, one of the first posts on here was such a post
Airzounds are not for situations which require emergency braking, they would be pointless in those circumstances but they are hugely effective when some muppet is reversing off their driveway without considering the existence of cyclists.

domd1979

Veteran
The horn unit that fits to the handlebars is quite small, but there's also an air reservoir which goes in the bottle cage. I don't think its particularly easy to take the horn on and off though - mine stops on the bike all the time, which isn't a problem as its usually securely parked.

HLaB said:
How compact are they? I hate leaving something on my bike somebody can fiddle with when its parked.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wolf04 said:
Airzounds are not for situations which require emergency braking, they would be pointless in those circumstances

Why would you say that? I disagree, because warning other road users at the same time as performing the emergency stop/swerve can help to buy everyone the extra time/space to avoid a collision.

Top Bottom