Airzound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf04

BentMikey said:
Why would you say that? I disagree, because warning other road users at the same time as performing the emergency stop/swerve can help to buy everyone the extra time/space to avoid a collision.
Because my definition of emergency braking is to use both brakes and to sit back in the saddle to prevent being thrown forward. I don't wish to start an argument on braking technique as I claim no great expertise. If you can sound a horn simultaneously then so much the better. I still contend however that horns are more useful at preventing the emergency situation developing in the first place.
Pete

Daniel B

My airzound is located to the immediate left of my front brake lever, so I can, if need be, left brake, front brake and apply the horn - simultaneously.

I haven't had a justifiable situation to use mine yet either, and no, wouldn't use it on peds - the bell is fitted for them.

Dan

Wolf04

Daniel B said:
My airzound is located to the immediate left of my front brake lever, so I can, if need be, left brake, front brake and apply the horn - simultaneously.

I haven't had a justifiable situation to use mine yet either, and no, wouldn't use it on peds - the bell is fitted for them.

Dan
Mine's as close as I can get it, but not near enough to use without removing my hand fully from either the brake or the grip.
Pete

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've no argument with your braking technique, Pete, I was just surprised to see you rule out the possibility of beeping as well as doing that. I'm guessing you ride with drops, right?

On my 'bent, or probably any flat barred bike, you should be able to set up the airzound so you can emergency brake properly and beep at the same time.

Wolf04

BentMikey said:
I've no argument with your braking technique, Pete, I was just surprised to see you rule out the possibility of beeping as well as doing that. I'm guessing you ride with drops, right?

On my 'bent, or probably any flat barred bike, you should be able to set up the airzound so you can emergency brake properly and beep at the same time.
No flat barred hybrid (Revolution Courier Race) sorry it was late, the red wine was doing what red wine should do. Upon consideration you are absolutely right. Looking at my setup I've decided to swap the airzound to the left so it will be close enough to try both braking and horn. It's on the right at the moment and the gear shifter gets in the way. Even if I can't use the rear brake together with the horn at least I will be able to front brake and sound the horn at the same time, probably the most useful combination.
Cheers
Pete

Wolf04

Oh no my Airzound has died, just make a wet farting sound. Took it apart but nothing obvious wrong. I guess it's back to shouting until I get a chance to visit the LBS.;)

domtyler

Über Member
Wolf04 said:
Oh no my Airzound has died, just make a wet farting sound. Took it apart but nothing obvious wrong. I guess it's back to shouting until I get a chance to visit the LBS.;)

Same happened to mine a while ago, it was the air hose that had got trapped somewhere, I fiddled and it came back to life. Check the hose all the way along, you never know.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Is there an argument for using these on car drivers who are on the phone?

I know I'd take great delight in scaring the living sh*t out of them as they're not expecting it... much as they seem to do when they cut across me when I'm not expecting it (as they're too busy on the phone to concentrate).

domd1979

Veteran
I got fed up with Airzounds after my second one refused to hold its air for more than a day or two. Have since installed a 12V electric horn run off a lead acid battery, which works a treat.

Wolf04 said:

domtyler

Über Member
domd1979 said:
I got fed up with Airzounds after my second one refused to hold its air for more than a day or two. Have since installed a 12V electric horn run off a lead acid battery, which works a treat.

I am going to take on a project like this. I will probably go with a 12 v lead acid battery and couple it to a small compressor and marine air horn.

What kit did you buy?

domd1979

Veteran
Got most of the stuff from Maplin and Wilkos.

12V battery - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=27088&doy=1m5

Charger - http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=27701&doy=1m5

From Maplin also got a little black box for the battery to live in, and mounted that just behind the carrying rack.

Wilkos - 240V mains cable, 240V 2 pin connector (the sort that lawn mowers often use for plugging the mains cable in), lighting junction box (basically little rectangle box with 2 cable entries, and a 6 terminal block inside), bell push (for handlebars), cable ties, metal plates to mount horn on. Used the junction box for bringing cable in from the battery box, cable from the bell push, and supply out to horn. Made the cable unpluggable from the battery box using the 240V connector so that I can plug the charger in - made a connector which I've permanently attached to the charger cable.

Got a 12V marine (not air) horn but wasn't impressed with the loudness, so have put a 12V car horn on which was a tenner from a shop in town. Still not massively impressed though obviously its as loud as any car. Tempted by trying one of these next:

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/show_prod.php?client_id=7&prod_id=8848

domtyler said:
I am going to take on a project like this. I will probably go with a 12 v lead acid battery and couple it to a small compressor and marine air horn.

What kit did you buy?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Might be cheaper to get a set of Smart 12V rechargeable lights? Battery, charger and frame mounting bag all included (as well as the lights). Run 'em and the horn all from the same source?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much 'shite' do you need on a bike...cluttered with that lot ? I'd be too tempted to use something like that too often, seeing folk jump out of their skin and stuff...

Wolf04

domtyler said:
Same happened to mine a while ago, it was the air hose that had got trapped somewhere, I fiddled and it came back to life. Check the hose all the way along, you never know.

Cheers will do, I've had it where nothing happens which turned out to be the cam locking mechanism nipping the hose as it enters the horn. Still worth another look also found an Email address for Samui (SamuiCorp@aol.com) so have asked them for advice.
Pete

Top Bottom