1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airzound

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by gambatte, 28 Nov 2007.

1. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

I've heard people praising these for a bit and kept searching for the best price. Always seemed to come up about £24. Never came up with anything searching CRC. Changed the search from 'airzound' to 'horn' and came up with this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20105

Mines on the way. Price seemed good. Thought I'd post it.

2. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Get ready to watch joggers leap and cabbies fill their kecks!

3. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

Blimey. Very good price!! Cheapest I could find when I replaced mine a few months back was about £21.

They are hellfire - especially when fully charged to 100psi in the reservoir....!!

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Is that a genuine one or a copy?

5. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

I think Evans have them for £17.99 in the Chiswick branch.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

still think these are wrong, everyone with one talks about making people jump etc

anything should only alert others to your road position, seems to me that these things run more than a risk of antagonising other road users

7. OP
    OP
    gambatte

Why do cars have horns?

Only as loud as them, and a bell wouldn't work.

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

people are always rattling on about them being like truck horns

car horns are loud enough to be heard in another car doing 60mph, they're overkill for something doing 20mph in traffic or pedestrians

again, everyone posting about them revels in how much noise they make and how they startle/frighten people, read this thread to see that

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

You can turn them down if you want.

10. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

I agree with you Tynan, I think the use of one of these on a pedestrian in all but the most extreme cases would be nothing short of malicious!

They would be useful for when a vehicle does the old not-quite-overtake-and-then-pull-in maneuver though, and as such I have given a subtle hint to my siblings that I'd like one for Christmas ;-)

11. OP
    OP
    gambatte

There is a bit of the 'gadget' mentality about them.

But...

I'll not be using it with respect to peds. I reckon my voice is enough.

I will use it when someones squeezing me to the kerb etc. Car, van bus or wagon.

According to this
    http://www.tinnitus-research.org/info/turndown.asp
    car horn at 1 meter is 120db, the same.

12. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

if the car has just passed you then surely it knows you're there?

just doesn't care?

turn it down? yeah right

one wonders what sort of emergency allows time to use the horn but doesn't need any braking or emergency manoeuvring, that's the good thing about shouting

I always say when driving that if there's time to use the horn, it's usually not emergency enough to have to use the horn

13. OP
    OP
    gambatte

So your problem isn’t with airzounds, its with horns in general?

14. Maz

Maz Guru

Are they as loud as the compressed air footy match style ones? Heard them many a time at Bramall Lane and it scares the b'jeezuz out of me, even when I half expect it.

Way OTT for a bike, though, IMO.

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I'm not getting one. It's a nice idea, but I'd only have to be taking it off and on my bike all the time.

And I've always managed so far with a shout or a slap on the roof or windscreen. There are times when you need to alert a driver's attention quickly, so I can see that some would find benefit in them.