Airzound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Get ready to watch joggers leap and cabbies fill their kecks!

domd1979

Veteran
Blimey. Very good price!! Cheapest I could find when I replaced mine a few months back was about £21.

They are hellfire - especially when fully charged to 100psi in the reservoir....!!

gambatte said:
Mines on the way. Price seemed good. Thought I'd post it.

Tynan

Veteran
still think these are wrong, everyone with one talks about making people jump etc

anything should only alert others to your road position, seems to me that these things run more than a risk of antagonising other road users

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
still think these are wrong, everyone with one talks about making people jump etc

anything should only alert others to your road position, seems to me that these things run more than a risk of antagonising other road users

Why do cars have horns?

Only as loud as them, and a bell wouldn't work.

Tynan

Veteran
people are always rattling on about them being like truck horns

car horns are loud enough to be heard in another car doing 60mph, they're overkill for something doing 20mph in traffic or pedestrians

again, everyone posting about them revels in how much noise they make and how they startle/frighten people, read this thread to see that

PrettyboyTim

Tynan said:

I agree with you Tynan, I think the use of one of these on a pedestrian in all but the most extreme cases would be nothing short of malicious!

They would be useful for when a vehicle does the old not-quite-overtake-and-then-pull-in maneuver though, and as such I have given a subtle hint to my siblings that I'd like one for Christmas ;-)

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
people are always rattling on about them being like truck horns

car horns are loud enough to be heard in another car doing 60mph, they're overkill for something doing 20mph in traffic or pedestrians

again, everyone posting about them revels in how much noise they make and how they startle/frighten people, read this thread to see that

There is a bit of the 'gadget' mentality about them.

But...

I'll not be using it with respect to peds. I reckon my voice is enough.

I will use it when someones squeezing me to the kerb etc. Car, van bus or wagon.

According to this
http://www.tinnitus-research.org/info/turndown.asp
car horn at 1 meter is 120db, the same.

Tynan

Veteran
if the car has just passed you then surely it knows you're there?

just doesn't care?

turn it down? yeah right

one wonders what sort of emergency allows time to use the horn but doesn't need any braking or emergency manoeuvring, that's the good thing about shouting

I always say when driving that if there's time to use the horn, it's usually not emergency enough to have to use the horn

Maz

Guru
Are they as loud as the compressed air footy match style ones? Heard them many a time at Bramall Lane and it scares the b'jeezuz out of me, even when I half expect it.

Way OTT for a bike, though, IMO.

Wolf04

Tynan said:

I have a bell for joggers etc (and a voice), only use Airzound to inform motorists who appear to be blind of my existance. Excuse me while I adjust my halo :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't have one, but I can see the point in terms of giving as good as you get in traffic, although like Tynan says, if you have time to hoot, you probably need to be using it to take evasive action.

The other time I've heard people find them useful is if you're riding on a shared path and there are peds in front who don't budge at your bell, either because they are i-podded up, or are just being arsey. I'm not sure I'd be assertive enough to use one though...

Aparrently you don't have to give a blast though - like a car horn you can, if you take the trouble, just give a little 'bip' - or a great long blast...

Tynan

Veteran
gambatte said:
So your problem isn’t with airzounds, its with horns in general?

I never hear drivers revelling in how loud their horns are, something weighing a ton plus travelling at speeds at up to 100mph should have something loud on to warn people, stopping distances and all that

but I've already posted that anyway

Top Bottom