AK53 ZWK Silver Nissan Micra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Crankarm is obviously pretty cut up about this, he has my sympathies - really.

When non cyclists ask me why I ride, or indeed why I sometimes am mad enough to ride without a helmet, I respond "the most dangerous thing a cyclist can do is to stop riding". Stopping riding altogether is possibly more dangerous than riding without a helmet.

I must say - before anyone reading this thread is put off cycling altogether - that my experience of cycling over the last 25 years is almost entirely positive. I can count the number of life threatening incidents on the fingers of one hand (and I commuted around the West Midlands conurbation for nearly twenty years) and I find that I and the other traffic can coexist quite happily pretty much all the time.
I'm not blaming Crankarm for this incident - the woman was clearly a dangerous moron with no sense of the responsibility that shouold come with being in charge of a motor vehicle - but many of his posts about his disagreements with motorists start with how he shouted at them or gesticulated at them after some incident or other. (As this one did, before the original post was edited.) While this is understandable, calling someone a "stupid f**king cow" is only ever going to escalate things. As they say, there's rarely a situation so bad that you can't make it worse by losing your temper.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
I must say - before anyone reading this thread is put off cycling altogether - that my experience of cycling over the last 25 years is almost entirely positive. I can count the number of life threatening incidents on the fingers of one hand (and I commuted around the West Midlands conurbation for nearly twenty years) and I find that I and the other traffic can coexist quite happily pretty much all the time.
I'm not blaming Crankarm for this incident - the woman was clearly a dangerous moron with no sense of the responsibility that shouold come with being in charge of a motor vehicle - but many of his posts about his disagreements with motorists start with how he shouted at them or gesticulated at them after some incident or other. (As this one did, before the original post was edited.) While this is understandable, calling someone a "stupid f**king cow" is only ever going to escalate things. As they say, there's rarely a situation so bad that you can't make it worse by losing your temper.

You're scraping the barrel this time RT. You at least have some sense to not blame me for the driver nearly crashing into me and knocking me off :smile:! I could abuse you for my pleasure but that would play into your large knuckle dragging hands. I suspect you're not even cyclist for if you were you wouldn't post such rot. FYI I was riding along with this car following close behind me. The woman decided to pass then as she drew level with me decided to indicate and turn suddenly across my path into the entrance of a field in the middle of know where. Pray tell me what you would shout "Please Madam, do you mind awfully paying greater attention, glancing to your left and over your shoulder to avoid knocking me down as you carry out your pointless and dangerous maneouvre? Sorry to have inconvenienced you or to appear curt. I'll now just die quietly of my injuries." And then when I tried to find out why she had done what she did and make her aware of how danagerous her driving had been, she deliberately drove her car into me hitting me and my bike which was then stationary in the road in front of her.

RT I don't believe you are even a cyclist even if it was 20 years ago. 20 years ago the traffic was a fraction of what it is now and there were a lot more traffic police on the roads to pull up errant drivers. You certainly give the impression you don't cycle everyday, in all weathers, in all types of traffic otherwise as I say you wouldn't have posted such rot and made a personal attack on me :laugh:.

You're a truck driver as well aren't you RT, as is lee? Any opportunity, one of you has a pop at me :thumbsup:.

Crankarm said:
You're scraping the barrel this time RT. You at least have some sense to not blame me for the driver nearly crashing into me and knocking me off :biggrin:! I could abuse you for my pleasure but that would play into your large knuckle dragging hands. I suspect you're not even cyclist for if you were you wouldn't post such rot. FYI I was riding along with this car following close behind me. The woman decided to pass then as she drew level with me decided to indicate and turn suddenly across my path into the entrance of a field in the middle of know where. Pray tell me what you would shout "Please Madam, do you mind awfully paying greater attention, glancing to your left and over your shoulder to avoid knocking me down as you carry out your pointless and dangerous maneouvre? Sorry to have inconvenienced you or to appear curt. I'll now just die quietly of my injuries." And then when I tried to find out why she had done what she did and make her aware of how danagerous her driving had been, she deliberately drove her car into me hitting me and my bike which was then stationary in the road in front of her.

RT I don't believe you are even a cyclist even if it was 20 years ago. 20 years ago the traffic was a fraction of what it is now and there were a lot more traffic police on the roads to pull up errant drivers. You certainly give the impression you don't cycle everyday, in all weathers, in all types of traffic otherwise as I say you wouldn't have posted such rot and made a personal attack on me :smile:.

You're a truck driver as well aren't you RT, as is lee? Any opportunity, one of you has a pop at me :biggrin:.

Hmmmm. You're rather missing the point I was making in your unreasoning ire, which was that people are going to react one of two ways to being called a "stupid f**king cow". They're either going to say "my goodness! You're absolutely right, that's exactly what I am!", or they're going to take it as an insult and react accordingly. Dare I suggest that the latter of these scenarios is the more likely, especially if the chap who's just shouted "stupid f**king cow" is sitting astride his bike in the middle of the road in front of their car?

As I say, I'm not trying to excuse this woman (who, let's face it is a stupid f**king cow), just trying to point out that if you will go around shouting these things at errant motorists, you must expect to occasionally fall foul of the stupider end of the motoring spectrum. You ask what I'd have shouted; probably nothing, at least not so she could hear me. That's why I've had 25 years (and counting: despite your assertions that I'm not a cyclist, I'm sitting here in my cycling kit having just ridden 15 miles home from work) of largely happy cycling and have no intention of giving it up.

Oh, incidentally, which part of the phrase "I'm not blaming Crankarm for this incident" are you struggling with? I can simplify it if you like.

StuartG

slower but further
For once I have to agree with RT. And it isn't a thing specific to motorists & cyclists. Give people grief and they will return it in spades. The exceptions are called saints (RCC variety excepted).

Massive over reaction in all walks of life gets more commoner by the day. You over reacted and boy did that change a bad event into an even more, and avoidable, dangerous event.

Just in case you think I'm pontificating, yes I do lose it with some motorists too. But that's my problem, not theirs. Its never helped a situation. Or am I not a real cyclist either?

Come on, admit you may not have made the best decision. Look to the stats - you are likely live longer and healthier staying on the bike. I think I prefer you on a bike than in a car with that attitude :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Crankarm said:
I'm knocking cycling on the head before my number is up .... I'll still have an MTB which has seen little use in preference to my road bikes. I always planned to do a lot more off road riding than I currently do so perhaps now is the time.

Safe cycling everyone where ever you do it.

Crankers - I'm shocked. Sorry to read about what happened to you and about the conclusion you've drawn from it. I find mtb'ing to be good therapy after a run in with a seemingly homicidal car driver on tarmac. Trouble is, in these parts I often meet them in their 4WD's on the tarmac bits of my mtb'ing on a Sunday! The worst are usually identifiable by the bike racks on the back of their vehicles.

Take care, go steady, and, please, keep pedaling/posting.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
StuartG said:
For once I have to agree with RT. And it isn't a thing specific to motorists & cyclists. Give people grief and they will return it in spades. The exceptions are called saints (RCC variety excepted).

Massive over reaction in all walks of life gets more commoner by the day. You over reacted and boy did that change a bad event into an even more, and avoidable, dangerous event.

Just in case you think I'm pontificating, yes I do lose it with some motorists too. But that's my problem, not theirs. Its never helped a situation. Or am I not a real cyclist either?

Come on, admit you may not have made the best decision. Look to the stats - you are likely live longer and healthier staying on the bike. I think I prefer you on a bike than in a car with that attitude :biggrin:

What a crock of ...... Another part time cyclist who cycles in a parallel world where cars are driven by nuns and monks :laugh::laugh::laugh: :rolleyes:.

Crankarm said:
What a crock of ...... Another part time cyclist who cycles in a parallel world where cars are driven by nuns and monks :rolleyes::laugh::laugh: :biggrin:.

Crankers, since you've given up cycling, is it too much to ask that you give up Cycle Chat as well? You seem to be either wilfully misunderstanding what StuartG and I are saying and taking refuge in a barrage of insults. Which is of a piece with your behaviour on the road. If you wish to portray yourself as an innocent victim of road rage in future, you'd do best to avoid posting the full story first.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
GregCollins said:
Crankers - I'm shocked. Sorry to read about what happened to you and about the conclusion you've drawn from it. I find mtb'ing to be good therapy after a run in with a seemingly homicidal car driver on tarmac. Trouble is, in these parts I often meet them in their 4WD's on the tarmac bits of my mtb'ing on a Sunday! The worst are usually identifiable by the bike racks on the back of their vehicles.

Take care, go steady, and, please, keep pedaling/posting.

Indeed what happened shocked me and I have decided enough is enough.

I thought off road cycling would be free from traffic. From your experiences this appears not to be the case. So this is where owners of 4x4s take them to do their dirty business. I'm pretty sure they can't drive around the Thetford Forest trails, I've never seen them, and I'd be surprised if they were allowed around the Chicksands circuit :biggrin:. There must be a good few tracks and trails to follow in Sussex, especially the Ashdown Forest or on the South Downs Way where even cars cannot go. Would like to ride the SDW some time.

Top Bottom