AK53 ZWK Silver Nissan Micra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
Crankers, since you've given up cycling, is it too much to ask that you give up Cycle Chat as well? You seem to be either wilfully misunderstanding what StuartG and I are saying and taking refuge in a barrage of insults. Which is of a piece with your behaviour on the road. If you wish to portray yourself as an innocent victim of road rage in future, you'd do best to avoid posting the full story first.

Your thoughts reveal your true intentions. Not only are your reading and comprehension skills breathtakingly poor, but your wish to push me from this forum shows that you are having a pop at me and have a malevolent agenda against me :rolleyes:. I have not given up cycling, but cycling on the roads. There is a subtle difference. I suggest you re-read :biggrin:.

You still have not answered my question of how you would have re-acted with the imminent threat of being knocked down? So are you saying that the woman was then justified in using her car as a weapon by driving into me?

Crankarm said:
Your thoughts reveal your true intentions. Not only are your reading and comprehension skills breathtakingly poor, but your wish to push me from this forum shows that you are having a pop at me and have a malevolent agenda against me :rolleyes:. I have not given up cycling, but cycling on the roads. There is a subtle difference. I suggest you re-read :biggrin:.

Ok, fair enough (although the first comment is a bit rich coming from you). As long as you promise to re-read my post a page or so back and respond to what I actually wrote, rather than what you think I wrote. And yes, I make no secret of the fact that I think this forum would be a happier place without you losing your rag every ten minutes for no particular reason.

StuartG

slower but further
Crankarm said:
What a crock of ...... Another part time cyclist who cycles in a parallel world where cars are driven by nuns and monks :laugh::laugh::laugh: :rolleyes:.
Correct. I no longer do a daily commute from Sydenham to Euston. A journey somewhat more challenging than anything Cambridge can offer methinks. My daily journeys are now shorter and more leisurely but still in London's urban jungle (a la Brompton)

As for weekends I didn't know all those fast close cropping 4x4s in Kent and Surrey were indeed filled with religious saints (a la Dawes).

This is just the point I was trying to make cranks. Was your reaction ill judged? Thankfully in an environment where nothing but pride can get hurt. IMHO your problem is you.

See, now I have gone and dunnit :biggrin:

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
Ok, fair enough (although the first comment is a bit rich coming from you). As long as you promise to re-read my post a page or so back and respond to what I actually wrote, rather than what you think I wrote. And yes, I make no secret of the fact that I think this forum would be a happier place without you losing your rag every ten minutes for no particular reason.

:biggrin::laugh::rolleyes::laugh:

You are a thief, you stole the truth and made it up yourself.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
StuartG said:
Correct. I no longer do a daily commute from Sydenham to Euston. A journey somewhat more challenging than anything Cambridge can offer methinks. My daily journeys are now shorter and more leisurely but still in London's urban jungle (a la Brompton)

As for weekends I didn't know all those fast close cropping 4x4s in Kent and Surrey were indeed filled with religious saints (a la Dawes).

This is just the point I was trying to make cranks. Was your reaction ill judged? Thankfully in an environment where nothing but pride can get hurt. IMHO your problem is you.

See, now I have gone and dunnit :biggrin:

More sweeping generlisation and prejudice. A vehicle being driven in a manner that is likely to knock you down is dangerous where ever it occurs.

As Father Jack says "Ar$e!" :laugh: :rolleyes:.

Cat

I've kinda read some comments with in the post but gave up after about page 2 as there are so many replies and advice? that people have given...

Its a shame that this experience has lead you to not riding on the roads anymore, not every person is an A$re to cyclist on the road! You have to get one person that spoils it to everyone. :biggrin:

As she has physically hit you, caused injury and damage and has Failed to stop at the scene to exchange details is an offence. It should be reported to the police ASAP.

You should give the reg number that you have got and a full description of the driver. I would take photos of the injury's and damage to the bike too, incase it is needed for future use.

The police can put the reg of the car, to be flagged up for their ANPR machines and also if the vehicle is stopped in the future and a check is carried out, it will be flagged up on their CAD systems to, along with the FTS report and description of the driver.

How do you know the vehicle is not insured and you mentioned something else but i cant remember?

Deffo report it, you might hear anything being done, but you never know what the police do without you actually knowing about it.....

StuartG

slower but further
Crankarm said:
More sweeping generlisation and prejudice. A vehicle being driven in a manner that is likely to knock you down is dangerous where ever it occurs.
Generalisation, prejudice? All I was saying is my route/frequency/years was likely to put me in conflict with more loony drivers than even you experience. The point at issue is making a bad situation worse and possibly causing an extra life threatening event by over reaction.

Take care.

Crank,

First off. I am very sorry to hear what happened to you. :biggrin: It sounds nasty, and certainly must have been so to put you off road cycling.

For what it is worth, I feel you have a duty to report. This woman is obviously dangerous and will no doubt do this sort of thing again. I am sure you were one of the people telling me to report my tanker driver. Take your own advice.

As someone who has been know to react (although I generally don't insult, but I do swear) I can understand what RT is saying. Reaction, leads to reaction. There is no getting away from that. It is likely that she would not have done what she did, had you not reacted in the way you did.

However, I can also understand that it can be difficult not to react in certain situations. We weren't there, but from your account, it is likely that most of us would have reacted.

I must admit your posts are generally on the aggressive side, and it appears that you often react to criticism by insulting others back. My 'gentle' suggestion would be to take a step back evry time you feel criticised before posting back. If I reacted as you do to criticism, I'm pretty sure I would have been banned by now (considering the amount of criticism I've had in the past!!)

Rhythm Thief said:
Are you going to report it, Crankarm? It seems odd not to, especially as you seem to be taking it seriously in many other ways. Just don't tell the coppers that you called her a "stupid f**king cow" just before she drove at you.

I don't think that is a problem. A reaction after a life threatening event is understandable, if not advisable. Driving a car at someone is never understandable.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Crank- I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up cycling on the roads. I hope that this isn't a permanent thing but also respect your decision should you want that. I am saddened to hear about this though. It does sound like the drivers behaviour was dangerous but I didn't get to read the OP. I do understand that the police don't always take things seriously but it may be worth just reporting it in case it flags up an incident later.

Tinuts- I like the sentiments of your post but have to say that attitude changing through education is not an overnight process neither is cycle or community campaigning- it is often a slow and thankless task but there are people plugging away at behind the scenes. Just as a thought, how would over taking distances be enforced on UK roads, this is where the problem is at the moment. My suggestion if you feel really strongly is to get involved in your local cycle campaigning group and push those buttons and get things happening.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Crankarm said:
Indeed what happened shocked me and I have decided enough is enough.

I thought off road cycling would be free from traffic. From your experiences this appears not to be the case. So this is where owners of 4x4s take them to do their dirty business. I'm pretty sure they can't drive around the Thetford Forest trails, I've never seen them, and I'd be surprised if they were allowed around the Chicksands circuit :biggrin:. There must be a good few tracks and trails to follow in Sussex, especially the Ashdown Forest or on the South Downs Way where even cars cannot go. Would like to ride the SDW some time.

iirc Landowners and anyone else with landowners permission can drive on bridleways and footpaths. Vehicles can use BOATS and RUPPS willy nilly. Frequently come across 4WDs on stretches of the SDW; generally driven well but sometimes not. Near urban centres it can be 'fun' and parts of the SDW are on public roads. To make a decent ride cross country around here one has to join bridleways with bits of tarmac and therein lies the rub.

Top Bottom