AK53 ZWK Silver Nissan Micra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
Why did you edit the OP Crankarm and not tell what happened leading up to the incident that occured?

My OP was too long and verbatim. I have now told what happened to me anyway. It is all here. There is nothing more to say. If some cannot grasp how scary it must be and life threatening cycling along minding your own business, to see that a car that is passing you, suddenly swerves across your front wheel to pull off the road into an over grown entrance to a field in the middle no where, then I don't know what else to say. Sure I swore at her because had I not had lightening reactions to avoid being taken out she would probably have hit me. When I tried to find out why she did it, she was aggressively in denial choosing to deliberately drive her car into me and my bike.

Sure perhaps I should report it but I already explained why I won't bother for my reasons outlined previously.

But as I repeat for those who have not read the whole thread I have had enough of continually trying to stay alive when out on my bike. It goes way beyond this last incident. I have just had enough of cycling on UK roads. It is not enjoyable for me anymore. HB and Tinuts amongst others have grasped this. Tinuts has summed up cycling in the UK in this country pretty succinctly and I think some one else on another thread. It feels to me the right time to give up. It realy does. I have done my time. I have had many really good enjoyable rides over the years, some which I shall miss. One of my favourites last year, on a beautiful summer's afternoon, a car came steaming around a bend (not particularly sharp and going up hill) from behind, the driver saw me, locked up their car brakes, skidded, successfully avoided me, but stuffed their car into the hedge on the opposite side of the road. So there are many instances all told as I cycle so many miles. If you only do 8 miles a day then you may not experience as much as I have on a bike. Recently I have several instances where chavs and twunts have thrown rubbish at me from their cars both late at night and during the day as they pass or come up right behind and the driver repeatedly blows the car horn. About a month ago I was surrounded by chavs oon scooters on a rural road who road just in front of me and behind me, trouble I thought, oh oh, but the one in front who was riding his scooter gradually slower and slower impeding my path only wanted to pull a wheelie, successfully holding it for about 400 yards right down the middle of the road. So possibly more trouble and the risk of injury. I wish I had had a head came for that one.

Over the decades I have remained silent, I have ignored them, I have given as good as I get, I have been chased assaulted, I have been rammed, I have been knocked down and survived, but the incidents keep happening. Face it, in this country cyclists have a worse public image than estate agents or MPs. There is no one as far as I can see in any position of authority or influence championing road safety around cyclists. There is a massive silence. They want more of us on bikes but they are not prepared to make the roads genuinely safer. An advertising campaign such as public information films similar to Think Bike! would be a start and a loud and clear message from the police and courts that drivers who bully, intimidate and run down cyclists will be caught, prosecuted and SERIOUSLY punished. This just isn't happening.

Behaviour by motorists towards cyclists has deteriorated in the last couple of years such that a large minority now treat cyclists with contempt or out right intimidation and aggression, a minority, and a significant minority using their cars as weapons. Statements by idiots such as James Martin don't help. Being a cyclist one is very vulnerable. I want to live to reach a grand old age but as far as my experiences tell me there is a distinct possibility I might not make it. So I give up road cycling.

Everyone has their own experiences and opinions - fine, but that doesn't entitle some to enter into a character assassination of me. It's a sad time for me now as I built the last 20-25 of my life around cycling. I am still very passionate about cycling, just not every day road cycling anymore. I shall still be cycling where I can off road. If that still doesn't meet with the approval and satisfaction of some on here then you can go ............ I don't know you from Harry so I don't care.

I am however thinking of giving the details of the recent incident to the RoadSafe Met Police Website which some one kindly posted a link to earlier in the thread for which I am grateful.

magnatom said:
..and I didn't say you were. Why don't you read my post, ya numbskull....;):smile:

:smile:

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Crankarm said:
I am however thinking of giving the details of the recent incident to the RoadSafe Met Police Website which some one kindly posted a link to earlier in the thread for which I am grateful.

Having had experience of reporting incidents to roadsafe I'd say this is too serious an example of dreadful driving to bother with them. This isn't meant as a criticism of what they are trying to do but I feel the most you can expect is that they'll just write a letter informing the woman that an incident has been logged and reminding her of her responsibilities whilst on the highway. I know it's a real faff but I'd still report it at the local Police Station.

Crankarm said:
Everyone has their own experiences and opinions - fine, but that doesn't entitle some to enter into a character assassination of me.

And if anyone was actually doing that, you'd have a point. But you've read something ito my posts (and others') that wasn't there and reacted to that, rather than what was actually written.

Good. Let's hope they do something about it.

I agree with a lot of what Crankarm has said.I mean it can be bad sometimes.Sometimes I wonder what these people have been smoking.

I think it's sad that it has got to this but I know how I feel when I have had a bad incident.

Oh yeah...try cycling in Thailand....Much better as they don't try and force you off of the road.They are patient.There is more respect there anyway which is sadly missing in this country.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
And if anyone was actually doing that, you'd have a point. But you've read something ito my posts (and others') that wasn't there and reacted to that, rather than what was actually written.

God you're an argumentative heartless sod. As I say it is a sad time for me, but also a relief not having to deal with the daily war to stay alive. It's been great in the car today. I'm getting to like using it on a regular basis. A bit costly, but hey cheap in exchange for avoiding all the aggro as a cyclist. Have been running 6-7 miles the last couple of evenings so shall still stay fit which has been a major benefit cycling so much.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
BentMikey said:
Sometimes you don't have to wonder, you can smell it.

+1, although doesn't smoke rise? It must be difficult at the height you travel.

;)

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
ttcycle said:
Tinuts- I like the sentiments of your post but have to say that attitude changing through education is not an overnight process neither is cycle or community campaigning- it is often a slow and thankless task but there are people plugging away at behind the scenes.

I agree. Unfortunately things have progressed so far that I now tend to believe that more of a big stick approach is what is needed. ;) After all, what effect have those "educational" adverts aimed at motorist mobile phone use accomplished? And no disrespect to those who are plugging away behind the scenes - at least someone's doing it!

ttcycle said:
Just as a thought, how would over taking distances be enforced on UK roads, this is where the problem is at the moment.

The same way I assume it is enforced in those EU countries where this problem has already been the subject of such legislation. Who knows, with the right law in place I might actually get some useful results from my helmet cam footage......:smile:

ttcycle said:
My suggestion if you feel really strongly is to get involved in your local cycle campaigning group and push those buttons and get things happening.

Yes, agreed, and I'd love to be able to but I barely have enough time to post videos online exemplifying what we, as cyclists, put up with let alone go along to meetings about the same. I don't mean to sound negative but there really is only so much time - and less of it as each day passes! I haven't discounted my future involvement in this area completely though......

Sorry to hear that you feel the need to give up road cycling Crankarm. It must have been a difficult decision. As others have already posted please report it to the Police as at least then it will be in the system and if the same thing happens to somebody else then the Police will have something to use as a starting point in a possible prosecution. Although my SMIDSY,s and near misses have been very few I take great delight in thinking that one day all the oil will run out and the fat neds (I love the scottish term for chavs :smile:) and all the other morons in tin boxes will have to ride a bike to get about, just like me. Please carry on posting on here as your technical knowlege is always useful and ingnore what RT says I enjoy reading your posts.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not post it on here. Some police forces do check it.

http://www.ragingbike.co.uk/

So if the vehicle is caught doing something similar, it can be shown as having done it before. Also it cuts out reporting direct to the police.

Point not raised elswhere:
Given that the vehicle registration & type are an unknown combination. DVLA cannot give information out if the two do not match. What happens to the owner of the vehicle that it does belong too if they are stopped simply because of the APNR?

On this bit I can give KM55 UJJ. belongs to a green nissan. Seen today, again, on a white taxi!! having been told I'd got the registration wrong upon reporting it first time round.

Top Bottom