Aksium/fulcrum/shimano etc 700c wheels rim brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Fulcrum 7s are around £100 (basically same as the Khamsins), OP doesn't say which variant are £100

I couldn't find Fulcrum R7s for £100 anywhere, which is what the OP said they would cost them. I assumed they were looking for Shimano fit as they bought a Planet X RT58 didn't they, which is Shimano geared?

BB

vickster

Legendary Member
I couldn't find Fulcrum R7s for £100 anywhere, which is what the OP said they would cost them. I assumed they were looking for Shimano fit as they bought a Planet X RT58 didn't they, which is Shimano geared?

BB
He is now getting Fulcrum Racing fitted gratis by PX, they are the entry level ones I think and £100 at PX

OP
OP
M

MY95

BB

Yes Shimano 105 in full, so yes need a shimano fit wheel, but as Vickster has already said I have some Fulcrums sorted courtesy of Planet , very happy! Just waiting for the bike to be delivered now, cant wait! :smile:

These are the wheels http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPFURSPO/fulcrum-racing-sport-clincher-wheelset

So the spec of the new bike:

Frame/Fork

Planet X RT-58a Alloy Frame 56cm (1410g)
Planet X RT-58a Carbon Fork with Alloy Steerer (580g)

Wheels/Tyres

Fulcrum Racing Sport Clincher 2016 (1882g)
Continental Ultrasport 2 Wired Tyre 700c Black 25mm with Vavert 700c Inner Tube / 18-25mm / Presta / 40mm (860g total)

Groupset (2.5kg)

Shimano 105 BR-5800 Road Brake Caliper Front and Rear Black
Shimano 105 CS-5800 Cassette 11 Speed 11-28T
Shimano HG-600 SIL-TEC 11 Speed Chain 116 Links
Shimano 105 FC-5800 Chainset With BB 172.5mm 50-34T
Shimano 105 FD-5800 Front Mech Braze On with Band on Clamp 34.9mm
Shimano 105 RD-5800 Rear Mech 11 Speed Short Cage
Shimano 105 ST-5800 STI Levers

Finishing Kit/Other

FSA Orbit C-40 No.42 ACB Tapered Headset 9 mm with FSA Top Cap And Star Nut
Planet X Mid Rise UnderBB Cable Guide
Planet X Headset Spacer Set 1 1/8" 10mm + 10mm + 10mm + 5mm
Planet X Gear Cable Barrel Adjuster For Road Bikes
Planet X Soft Touch Handlebar Tape Black
Selcof Zeta 6061 Alloy Road Bar 42cm Matt Black 31.8mm Clamp
San Marco Ponza Saddle Cromo Steel Black
Planet X 6061T6 Forged Alloy Seatclamp Bolt Up 34.9mm
Planet X Light Alloy Seatpost 31.6mm Polished Black
Selcof KA04 Aluminium Stem 31.8mm 100mm Black

Nice summary :smile:

Don't be surprised if those weights are, er, "creative" - ex. my Fulcrum Racing 5s "1645 grams" are actually 1730 grams.

I'm still surprised the Giant Defy felt so heavy by comparison. I used to have a Defy 3 and weighed the fork one time while I was doing the headset up - 540 grams.

The Px frame may be a bit lighter than an aluminium Defy's but it wouldn't be appreciable, and Defy frames are v highly regarded for power transfer and some kind of alchemic mix of comfort and speed - lowest weight isn't always the clinching factor in performance.

Anyway - enjoy - and by the way, pictures, or it never happened.

bb

OP
OP
M

MY95

Cheers! I like having things laid out so I can see the size of the parts etc if I need to replace/upgrade for any reason :smile:
Those fulcrums will still be a nicer and lighter wheel than those awful exal things! Yeah it did just feel a bit sluggish! And very expensive compared to this for the same spec (even the grand one didnt have full 105, just part 105!) So wasnt a fan, these things just seemed seriously good VFM!
That is true yeah, haha I havent even got it yet! :P should be delivered to me on tues/Weds if all goes well with the build tomorrow!
Will upload pics asap!
Cheers!

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll want to change that tape asap. Stock tape is generally pants and the PX no exception :smile: lizardskins ftw!

vickster

Legendary Member
Will see how I find it! Cheers :smile:
Thin I bet lol! I did 80 miles on stock tape on my new Boardman CX and I had numb fingers for days despite gel mitts!

Did you make sure the bars are the correct width for you on the build? Get your shoulders measured? 42cm is standard for bloke bike but might be too narrow or wide. Can always change with the tape

OP
OP
M

MY95

I have fairly wide shoulders, and 40 or 42 was the only options there were, so went for the 42 :smile:

Cheers! I like having things laid out so I can see the size of the parts etc if I need to replace/upgrade for any reason :smile:
Those fulcrums will still be a nicer and lighter wheel than those awful exal things! Yeah it did just feel a bit sluggish! And very expensive compared to this for the same spec (even the grand one didnt have full 105, just part 105!) So wasnt a fan, these things just seemed seriously good VFM!
That is true yeah, haha I havent even got it yet! :P should be delivered to me on tues/Weds if all goes well with the build tomorrow!
Will upload pics asap!
Cheers!

Nice one! As the feller once said, the team with the best data, wins. I like to see someone who has gone to the trouble of researching and organising in their mind the available facts.

I look at wheelsets as a daily window shopping routine, and occasionally buy a pair, and I have yet to find Fulcrum letting me down. Good choice imho.

Thin I bet lol! I did 80 miles on stock tape on my new Boardman CX and I had numb fingers for days despite gel mitts!

Did you make sure the bars are the correct width for you on the build? Get your shoulders measured? 42cm is standard for bloke bike but might be too narrow or wide. Can always change with the tape

Of course it might depend on the rider's hands and distributions... I generally find my thinner taped race-oriented bike less tingly than the uprighter, cushtier one, and I've stopped wearing gloves too.

bb

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't have the issue on my other bikes with 3.2mm Lizardskin loveliness :smile: nor can I see or feel the cables through as with thin cork tape

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MY95

Thanks very much Bonsa, I like to keep important data and stuff neat and tidy and easy to find (would be nothing worse than in a few years time struggling to find/having no data on the bike to rely on for buying new parts!)
Yeah id find id have more control with less tape, but maybe not as comfortable with road vibrations etc, will have to wait and see when I get the bike! All down to the individual though. Just going to use it daily for the 1st week to enjoy it/ make sure theres no teething problems! But yes very happy that its coming with the fulcrums as they seem to have many good reviews.
Cheers

Top Bottom