Alain Kaye 531 frame (single speed conversion project)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Found this on the weekend so nabbed it while I could ^_^

It'll be near enough the same sort of build as my old Mercian.

It's 128mm rear spacing, and I've found some flip-flop wheels which only come in 126mm and 130mm.

Anyone know if I can fir either 126 or 130 onto the frame?

p4pb10689509.jpg

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Psyclist where did you find that beauty ??

D

Deleted member 1258

126 mm wheel and add a couple of extra washers/spacers to the axle

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks. Could you link me to some spacers?

As others have said Wilkinsons, B&Q or a local hardware shop, make sure you know what you want first, we're only talking 2mm here, very thin, with it being such a small amount you might find the 126 will fit without any extra spacers.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Seconding @dave r here; You probably won't even need the spacers, it'll compress to 126mm without any problem.
I'd guess it was built as a 126mm frame to begin with, and possibly used with a 130mm hub without being deliberately cold-set.
Despite what purists would say (could wind up Dave Yates with this one; he's very keen on keeping the dropouts absolutely parallel and avoiding stress on the frame), it's fairly OK to spring a 126mm frame to insert a 130 mm rear hub - I've done this for more years than I care to remember with my old Bob Jackson tourer.

OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
I do like that frame :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Got ITM steel bars, quill stem and did have a seatpost but it was the wrong size so have a new seatpost on the way. Got a Campag crank and 47t Campag chainring too. Also ordered a brown Turbo saddle last night.

Anyone know if Campag do 107mm English threaded bottom brackets? I need one for my new crank.

p4pb10715916.jpg

p4pb10729279.jpg

Attachments

• p4pb10715916.jpg
    p4pb10715916.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 41
  • p4pb10729279.jpg
    p4pb10729279.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Psyclist

Psyclist

Über Member
Got some more parts now which I'll upload soon. My laptop died last week so can't upload pics until I get a new one.
Lined the lugs and have replacement 531 stickers for the frame and fork. Just waiting for my h/t and d/t stickers to be made. Oh, and I installed my Campag 109mm BB. Costly purchase for £50, but I couldn't find any other English threaded BB's near 107mm.

Top Bottom