Alan Shearer charity ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Former England captain Alan Shearer and TV presenter Adrian Chiles have confirmed plans to cycle 335 miles in just two days to raise funds for this year's Sport Relief appeal.

The duo aim to leave Newcastle United's stadium on March 13, pedal to the home of West Bromwich Albion, and arrive at Television Centre in London the following day.

West Brom fanatic Chiles and former Newcastle striker Shearer hope to arrive in west London no later than 7.30pm on March 14 to coincide with live coverage of Sport Relief.

The public are now being invited to sponsor the gruelling ride, which Shearer acknowledges will prove a severe test.

The 37-year-old, who scored 30 goals in 63 appearances for England, said: "The professional cyclists think Adrian and I are mad for even contemplating our challenge because in cycling terms it's the equivalent of running three marathons in two days.

"But we've both visited projects that Sport Relief money supports and seen what a massive difference it makes, so although it'll be a massive test of our endurance we're determined to give it our best shot".

Anyone who wised to sponsor the ride - a 186-mile route on day one and a further 149 miles the following day - should visit www.sportrelief.com/supercycle

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
That is some ride with little or no experience of cycling distances. I presume they will be fully supported on the route, but 150+ miles a day? It would be great to see them do it though.:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
mr Mag00 said:
what was hi faux-pas interview, details!

Didn't he ask her something really inane, about saddle sores or something?

Meanwhile, I gather James Cracknell and David Walliams are swimming the straits of Gibralter, with James Cracknell rowing the channel, and cycling down through France and Spain first...

sheddy

Legendary Member
I think AC said "does it hurt when you fall off ?"

BTW what footie team did A Chiles play for, that qualifies him to present MOTD ?

wafflycat

He asked her if she fell off and bruised her knees often... IIRC

sheddy said:
BTW what footie team did A Chiles play for, that qualifies him to present MOTD ?

Isn't it enough of a requirement to belong to some weird religious sect, a la David Icke?

Taken from the 'Caught Offside' webpage:

Chiles: University of London graduate, News of the World sports reporter, presenter of ‘Wake up to Money’ on Five Live and ‘Working Lunch’ on BBC 2. Now MOTD 2 presenter.

and if anyone cares:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Chiles

Arch

Married to Night Train
sheddy said:
I think AC said "does it hurt when you fall off ?"

Dear god, do you have to be an ex footballer to present MOTD? David Dimbleby doesn't have to be a member of the royal family to commentate on state occasions, does he? David Attenborough doesn't have to be a lemur?

yello

It's not a novice distance but easily do-able. At worst, they'll have to 'tough out' the 2nd day but I'm sure they'll do it.

sheddy

Legendary Member
As we know there's too much footie on TV. At least when Jimmy Hill, Bob Wilson, Gary Linneker etc presented a show they had some professional knowledge. Now it seems any lardy journo can do it

Top Bottom