Alcohol and airports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Airports will never stop selling booze for the simple reason that it's not actually an airport but a shopping mall with a runway outside. They tell charter passengers to report 3 hours before the flight knowing that in 3 hours they are bound to get hungry and thirsty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They know how to do it right when you fly from Leeds/Bradford.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't see the need to get drunk before or during a flight, but some people do, and some get drunk and behave very well. I don't think they should introduce bans on things just because some idiots are going to be idiots. And if they banned alcohol at airports, lots of people would just turn up drunk anyway if they so wanted. I do think that anyone who pees on a seat should be fined for a new seat, and have their passport suspended for a few months. Passports are the easiest way to punish someone, it's the ultimate freedom-taker

Jody

Stubborn git
I've never understood downing pints at 6am but some do. .

As a non drinker I find it crazy. A big group of us went Amsterdam a few years ago, arrived at the aiport at just gone 4am and the first thing they did was go to the bar to get in the "holiday spirit". I couldn't even stomach breakfast never mind sinking a few pints.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Breath test devices at check in, perhaps?
That would be the easiest way. Make it very well known that random tests can be carried out and if you fail you dont fly. It would also help if receiving airports could just refuse entry to bolshy drunks.

I almost never drink and still go through airport security points as if I had done something wrong.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm pretty sure the expensive alcohol served on board is subsidising your cheap no frills flight. Ban the booze and you might just find the overall price creeping up.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I see so many stories on the internet about people misbehaving at airports and on aeroplanes after having too much alcohol and cannot help but wonder why the authorities cannot sort this out.

I spend too much of my life in airports, and on planes, and see very little evidence of drunks causing trouble in airports/on planes, it's a very tightly controlled environment, and the lack of ability to run away after doing something dodgy makes it a wee bit tricky not to get caught.

The easy answer would be to stop selling alcohol at airports and on aeroplanes. But I would imagine that would cut into someones profits.

It certainly would, and it would make it a tad difficult for the airports and airlines to operate the very cheap flights.

Top Bottom