Alcohol when pregnant...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slightly OT; but IMO you might as well tell close family now as A; they'll probably guess and B; you'd tell them what had happened if anything went wrong anyway.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Firstly, Congratulations!

As far as I understand it, the most dangerous time is during the first trimester or two, hence best to keep off the alcohol completely until the bump starts to show. Most women I know became experts at concocting various stories as to why they were keeping off the alcohol. Try drugs, Lent, and de-tox as feasible excuses.

It is generally regarded as a bad move to announce a pregnancy before 12 weeks due to the higher risk of a miscarriage during this period, and the pain of telling people who chirpily state "How's it going?" It is one of those scary things when you know someone who has had problems, all sorts of people tell you that their wife went through the same. Nonetheless, it is still a low risk, and very much work it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
a glass of wine never does any harm, pregnant or not. All those do gooders don't know what they are talking about. How did the human race survive for so long without all those idiots?

MisterStan

Label Required
Congrats! My other half had the occasional drink whilst pregnant, but only one and very unoften (if there is such a word) our little monster cherub turned out just fine.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Congrats, but 4 tests.... :tongue:

The doctors say if one of these says you are pregnant then you ARE, they don't need to check ! :thumbsup:

And apparently she's gone and got a digital one (like she sent me for last night) just to be sure :hyper:
The reason I didn't get one last night is the price, I felt the money was better used by the 2 for 1 on a box of 12 cadbury's creme eggs so bought a cheaper one with the plan of using that to confirm the results given by the out of date ones from under the bathroom sink.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Even the basic ones are CORRECT. The doctor won't check any further.

Well done. - Your first ? hence the missus checking 5 times :thumbsup:

Yup, we went to the doctor and she asked if we'd done a test, we said yes, she said 'well then you're pregnant'.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Even the basic ones are CORRECT. The doctor won't check any further.

Well done. - Your first ? hence the missus checking 5 times :thumbsup:

yes, Mrs BS was worried that we'd struggle since it took a number of years for her to show up!

We've only just got the lounge and our bedroom sorted in the house we bought in the summer, I still need a job after us having re-located for her work - I know there's no ideal time, but hey, as Andrew said earlier "Reality is of little help with parenting - relax and enjoy the ride"

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The reason I'm asking is I've seen, at friends weddings other guests get berated by someone they've never met before over having the champagne for the toast or a tiny glass of wine (and a fair few glasses of water) with the meal.

I've also seen bar staff refuse to sell alcohol to a pregnant lady even when she protested that it was just her round buying drinks for the whole table.

I'd be a bit worried if I saw an expectant mother drinking heavily but wouldn't say anything unless it was someone I knew well.
I did drink but considerably reduced my consumption - I think I made my top limit as 2 glasses of wine for the week but I don't think I ever had that much - I would make one glass or even a half a glass last a long time. Though I did love smelling the stuff during pregnancy. It was much harder giving up other things such as soft boiled eggs and various cheeses.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
ah, yes, there is probably a very long list of foods you shouldn't eat while pregnant...

Mrs BS' favorites are probably a fair amount of it

mchunt

Wife has had a small glass every couple of weeks, will find out in mid march how well the little bun has baked. He's kicking and wiggling well enough!

As for pregnancy tests - 11 years ago the test said 'yes' the doctors said if the test says yes then you are, we got all excited and then it was pretty devastating when we weren't. Wife has medical problems so no luck for many years, she lost lots of weight cycling 16miles a day to/from work and had successful IVF in July.

Sandra6

Veteran
I had the occasional drink while pregnant.During my fourth pregnancy (13years ago) "they" actually told you the odd glass of red was good for you.
During pregnancy no 5 I craved lager! I satisfied myself with bass shandy though.
Occasional and small amounts of alcohol are unlikely to cause significant harm, it's the heavy drinking throughout pregnancy that causes problems such as foetal alcohol syndrome.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 2283044, member: 76"]Clearly! It would be hard to damage a foetus before the woman was pregnant!
[/quote]

The gametes can be damaged....

Top Bottom