Aldi - bargains!!!

Donna

Active Member
What a laugh this morning, pulled up to Aldi and there are 5 guys standing with their bikes, then when the doors opened a mad dash to the back of the shop to get the cycling gear.


Managed to get myself, coat, top, glasses, water bottle, socks all for £28, well pleased :tongue:
 

sleekitcollie

Well-Known Member
same here i arrived on way home from my nightshift at 9.05am car park full most with bike racks on roof and few bikes outside . the area where the cycling stuff was was 2 deep to get in to , managed to squeeze in and got a lighweight raim jacket , socks , pair of shorts and a track pump all for under £24 . thought about the tri suit (2 peice as i liked the vest type top but sizes didnt suit .
 

redddraggon

Blondie
Location
North Wales
Got some stuff a few years ago after all the hype, and found it all to be pretty much junk - my nephew has most of it now. I kept the waterproof jacket though.

I'd much rather stick to my Assos shorts and other decent quality merchandise
 

jethro10

Über Member
redddraggon said:
Got some stuff a few years ago after all the hype, and found it all to be pretty much junk - my nephew has most of it now. I kept the waterproof jacket though.

I'd much rather stick to my Assos shorts and other decent quality merchandise
Some Aldi stuff is junk, some is great.
Their glasses I got last year were £4, still are. I lost them, left em on the pannier when I set off!, and who give's a damn for £4.
You can wear out a lot of stuff for a £150 pair of Assos shorts.
I also assume that if your nephew is using the Aldi gear, then it has longevity as well - I'ts also my experience.
I also have some expensive kit, but like anything, a wide variety of bits makes up my "whole"

PS: My wife just texted me to say she got the glasses again for me for £4 and she thinks they are even better than last years!

Jeff
 

Barbelier

Senior Member
I was there at 9:30. Plenty of stock & not another cyclist in sight! ;)
I spent £42 on the shorts, underwear, gloves, top, socks & lock.
May not be the highest quality but at those prices I'm quite happy to wear it all out training.
 

McWobble

Euthermic
Location
Minkowski Space
Got myself another pair of the track mitts - for three quid they're rather good! The sizing does seem to be on the small size: normally I'd take a medium but had to go with large this time round. I'm sure Assos are of higher quality, but at three pound a pop, losing these is no big deal (and I'm forever losing gloves and mitts!). I'd avoid the shorts for decent quality bibs though.
 

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Got 2 shirts, 2 jerseys and a pair of mitts ,glad i was off work anyway today as there was a queue at 9 am for the good stuff .

Could have done with another pair of shorts but i can manage with 5 pairs :smile:
 

redddraggon

Blondie
Location
North Wales
jethro10 said:
You can wear out a lot of stuff for a £150 pair of Assos shorts.
£150! My Assos shorts only cost around £50 back in 2007, and are still going strong, no thinning of the lycra, or wear and are the most comfortable shorts ever.

jethro10 said:
I also assume that if your nephew is using the Aldi gear, then it has longevity as well - I'ts also my experience.
His kit sits in the cupboard, as he rides barely 5 times a year, so it's hardly a marker for longevity. So I guess Aldi stuff is pretty good, if you don't cycle much or hard.
 

BearPear

Über Member
Location
God's Own County
I got Mr BP some shorts and a couple of pairs of the undies for commuting. I also got a pack of 4 scones and a chorizo!

I have their summer & autumn jackets and have been very happy with them. Of course I rely on my Endura jackets for worse weather, but for fine days they are spot on.
 

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Location
Stirling
I got 2 shorts, 2 tops, mitts and a track pump. I got the black & white top and put it on the conveyor and only noticed later that it'd picked up some soil from a previous customer's plants - oh well, straight in the wash with that one!
 

croyde

New Member
Just returned from a 30 mile round trip to Aldi Walton on Thames. Great ride along the Thames and some bargains as well :smile:

Gloves, 2 pairs of padded pants, glasses and pump for under £20.

I never going to lose any weight doing this as I stopped by that French place on the river at Kingston, on way back, to gorge myself on bread, starters, pork chop, loads of pomme frites, a large glass of Rose and some icecream.
 
croyde said:
Just returned from a 30 mile round trip to Aldi Walton on Thames. Great ride along the Thames and some bargains as well :smile:

Gloves, 2 pairs of padded pants, glasses and pump for under £20.

I never going to lose any weight doing this as I stopped by that French place on the river at Kingston, on way back, to gorge myself on bread, starters, pork chop, loads of pomme frites, a large glass of Rose and some icecream.
Now that is a shopping trip I would enjoy instead of 4 hours of hell with a cup of crap coffee in the middle for being a good lad and carrying the bags. :biggrin:
 

kettle

Senior Member
Location
Ladybank, Fife
Got a light jacket today. It is light indeed. Not tried it yet as Scotland is so sunny. Looks as if it will be great to slip into pocket for summer runs but guess it would not be your first line rain jacked. However it adds up to exactly what I bought it for. Although untested as yet. Very light and compacet.
 
Top Bottom