Aldi beans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Greg Wallace
Had to Google but yes, but @Smudge has provided more details
Handy household tip #57
Store baked beans (in their tins, obv..) upside-down in the pantry. That way, when you open them, the right way up, the bean juice isn't all at the top, and the beans won't be clagged up at the bottom.
It's that illogical? if stored upside down all the juice will seep up to the lid, beans will be clagged up at the bottom as they are no longer in the juice?

vickster

Legendary Member
Waitrose essential own brand. 35p big can. 4 for £1.10
32p for small can (in Little Waitrose, 29p)

Heinz too sweet (and spendy)

I don’t really much like beans, but as I’ve stopped eating meat I’m trying to have more in my diet (my stomach can’t cope with a big tin still)

gbb

Legendary Member
Had to Google but yes, but @Smudge has provided more details
It's that illogical? if stored upside down all the juice will seep up to the lid, beans will be clagged up at the bottom as they are no longer in the juice?

No, the beans are heavy and will sink to the bottom, which when the can is inverted, will be the top.

Branstons for me, damn good beans.

Smudge

Veteran
It would annoy me seeing tins of beans upside down in the cupboard. Must have a touch of ocd.
I just shake the tin before opening.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There was a great documentary on a few months back showing the biggest bean processing plant in Europe (I think) I wasn't aware they were pressure cooked in the sealed tin.
They're not actually baked - I'm surprised some bureaucrat has prosecuted Heinz under the trade descriptions act.

Lullabelle

Banana
Heinz are quite sweet, may have to try Branston because I love their pickle, had some on my sandwich today with cheese.

lane

Veteran
OK just checked and although our beans don't say Aldi they are the same as the tin in your photo so I guess they are. I did notice a difference last time I ate some - slightly harder as you say. I am not really fussy though so didn't bother me. I obviously didn't bother to read the cooking instructions so don't know if they have changed. I have looked at the instructions on the time I have and they seem quite standard i.e. put them in a pan and heat them up.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Heinz beans are a waste of money... I don't buy 'designer' beans. I buy cheap beans and put a blob of butter and a splash of milk in to make the sauce nice and creamy. :okay:

top tip... if you feel the beans are too hard, just heat them for longer and they'll soften. I think it's called cooking.

and an anecdote... a woman i used to work with always bought four tins of cheap beans and two tins of heinz because her husband would only eat heinz beans. She kept the cheap beans hidden. When she made his beans, he got cheap ones. when he made his own, he used heinz. He never noticed the difference because he always thought he was eating heinz beans. Well done thrifty wife!

Last edited:
Tesco mid-range beans for me - 4 cans for £1.

They have changed the recipe (and the label) recently, but they're still ok. Heinz and Branstons beans are a) spendy and b) too sweet.

The question I always ask myself when considering a branded product over an own brand one is "Is this x amount better?" with x being the difference in price. Mostly, the answer is no, hence the branded stuff stays on the shelf.

I buy very few "big brand" products.

OP
OP
guitarpete247

guitarpete247

Just about surviving

Directions for use. New tin on left.
Contents gone up from 420g to 425g but mostly juice.

Top Bottom