Aldi cycling specials 29 Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just been trying my rear Cob light in the daylight... I think some settings are too bright but I need to experiment in different conditions. It charged quite quickly in under two hours, I wasn't paying close attention.

Metal8

That's Dad that is!
Those Cob lights are the dogs baws as they saw round here.
Got front ones for me and the missus but went back and got rear ones too.
Had to try a few Aldi's as they were all sold out at some, think bike forums are all over them :laugh:

Didn’t see the wall stands.

Took the Merino base layer back yesterday, didn’t like it.
Used the money to buy socks and beer.
Why didn't you like the Merino?

Described as a mid-layer I think which is kinda interesting - I usually use a mountain warehouse thin microfleece for that - as it can instantly become a smartish looking top layer when I hit the pubstop.

bruce1530

Guru
There was a base layer and a mid layer. I had the baselayer version, just didn't like the feel of it.

The mid layer was a different style

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ne...-safe-cycle-kit-range-the-thumbs-up-1-8152906
After seeing this article, is it possible that Aldi could eventually be considered a serious competitor in the cycle clothing and accessory market?

I don’t know the origin of all their cycling items but some are from China just like other retailers. However, some of their gadgets are German made (like the digital vid camera I bought a few years ago) which is very good quality.

Some of the cycling clothing in bike shops is quite expensive. I’d say that cycling clothing and accessory is a growing market, already with lots of interest established. When you have a 3 year warranty on an item that is considerably cheaper it must be starting to make small dents in the main retailers, or will do soon.

pclay

Veteran
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ne...-safe-cycle-kit-range-the-thumbs-up-1-8152906
After seeing this article, is it possible that Aldi could eventually be considered a serious competitor in the cycle clothing and accessory market?

I don’t know the origin of all their cycling items but some are from China just like other retailers. However, some of their gadgets are German made (like the digital vid camera I bought a few years ago) which is very good quality.

Some of the cycling clothing in bike shops is quite expensive. I’d say that cycling clothing and accessory is a growing market, already with lots of interest established. When you have a 3 year warranty on an item that is considerably cheaper it must be starting to make small dents in the main retailers, or will do soon.

The article only details what's for sale, and not much more. However, I agree that Aldi certainly could corner the market, but only the low end market. But in order to do this, Aldi would have to sell cycling gear all year round as permanent items. I really don't believe that serious cyclists would wear just Aldi clothing. I had some Aldi £25 bib shorts once, they were rubbish compared to my DHB's that cost £65. I wouldn't like to do an imperial century in a pair of Aldi shorts.

johnnyb47

Guru
They've got huge buying power. They buy in bulk which probably gives them a huge discount and sell them on the the customer with a very small profit margin with the view that you will spent your money on your weekly shop whilst your there. They will never be a threat to the dedicated bike shop though because next week they will be flogging something completely else. I always find whatever Aldi sells is of good quality and very competitively priced.

pclay

Veteran
I tried the Aldi £16.99 winter jacket today. Apart from overheating, the jacket is fine for tootling around but it's not for 'proper' cycling. It's not a patch on my Louis Garneau. The aldi jacket is the same material throughoit with no mesh or ventilation.

albal

Guru
No mention of the Garmin 810?? Does it have maps installed? And is campgrounds in the list for lodging in POI?

Goggs

Guru
I went along to my local Aldi to see if they had any cycling goods on offer but with no luck. However I was shocked to find that they have no cycle parking anywhere. It's a brand new building, certainly no more than one year old. It has a nice big car park but there is absolutely nothing to secure a bike too. I'm going to try to find out who's in charge of this stuff at their head office and send them an email.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm going to try to find out who's in charge of this stuff at their head office and send them an email.
I don't know how development control works where you live, but Aldi and Lidl near me tend to do the absolute minimum for cyclists that they must as a condition of planning permission, so I suspect you're whistling in the wind and should see if local government can encourage them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My Aldi lobster gloves arrived today.

They actually DO have liners inside the 2-finger compartments so they feel like normal gloves while the fingers are alongside each other. As soon as you do the predictable Vulcan 'Live long and prosper' gesture, the lobster claw design becomes more obvious!

The gloves feel warm when worn inside the house and I suspect that they would keep my hands warm in any temperatures that I am likely to ride in, unless my hands got wet. I'm not sure how waterproof they will be. Hang on, I'll immerse my lobstered hands in a bowl of water and find out ...! :okay:

(Time passes ... slowly!)

Ok - The gloves did not let any water through to my fingers while holding my hands under water for one minute, but water WAS being absorbed. The gloves felt heavier, and when I took them off I could wring water out of them. I'm fairly sure that water WOULD get through eventually in heavy rain but I suspect that the gloves would then act like wetsuits for the hands. By keeping the wind off wet fingers, I think they could stay pretty warm.

The lobster design didn't feel too odd when holding the bars and operating the brake and gear levers.

I'll wear the gloves the next time I do a bad weather ride and see what they are like in actual use.
I wore the gloves on a 42 mile ride yesterday. Conditions were damp and windy, but not actually that cold.

Positive(s):
  • The gloves kept my hands warm.

Negatives:
  • The lobster claw design did feel a bit odd. I would put up with it if the weather were bad enough that I needed the protection.
  • My hands got TOO warm! I didn't need that extra warmth yesterday.
  • My hands sweated from the surplus heat so the lining was sticking to my fingers when I took the gloves off for the cafe stop. As a result, it was difficult to get my fingers back into the gloves again after the cafe.
I will wear the gloves in very cold or wet conditions but I will stick to ordinary gloves when the weather is less extreme.

I wore the gloves on a 42 mile ride yesterday. Conditions were damp and windy, but not actually that cold.

Positive(s):
  • The gloves kept my hands warm.

Negatives:
  • The lobster claw design did feel a bit odd. I would put up with it if the weather were bad enough that I needed the protection.
  • My hands got TOO warm! I didn't need that extra warmth yesterday.
  • My hands sweated from the surplus heat so the lining was sticking to my fingers when I took the gloves off for the cafe stop. As a result, it was difficult to get my fingers back into the gloves again after the cafe.
I will wear the gloves in very cold or wet conditions but I will stick to ordinary gloves when the weather is less extreme.

Got some today knocked down to £4 so if they don't suit I won't have lost much.

Top Bottom