Aldi el cheapo (BIKEmate) speedo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bikemate bosts 30 functions run by just three buttons and while slightly skeptical but only wanting an odometer at £5ish i thought it couldn't be too bad.

Set up took a little while due to normal male "don't need instructions" resulting in the unit being in its default language (dutch i believe) so following the instructions for a bit is recomended,

set up was easy enough, complete with a list of wheel sizes (including my 27 X 1 1/4 inch) which appear to be accurate (checked with google maps for the route I just took) so i assume the speed reading is accurate too.

flicking through the different functions is done by two buttons and fairly simple when you recognise what they are - the instruction sheet (rather large and all in english) has a cartoon strip style section with each possible display and a number next to it so you can look up what the current screen is.

fitting is by rubber bungees and easy enough, no tools required - it even comes with four zip ties for securing the cable

I would have preferred a bit more cable (wanting to mount it on the rear wheel and have the unit on the stem) or a bit less cable (too long for mounting on stem and fork) but the extra cable length would be a neat fit on my mountain bike with suspension fork.

the back of the mounting plate unscrews enabling you to convert the handlebar mount to a stem mount which is very useful and noticed just before i got the saw out to 'convert' it myself.

the physical size of the unit is a little large, but the display is large enough to see when riding, i guess its a trade off

all in all, not the best out there, but i've used worse! a good buy at £5ish

the unit says its splashproof, that'll get tested when it rains

Top Bottom