Aldi gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had my bike up on the Aldi stand the other day, and even without touching the front mech, it's stopped coming off the large front ring.
I think since the lbs fitted a compact to my bike my chain comes of in certain ratios (ie being on the bigger cogs and shifting to the small chainring) it also seems to stop coming off without me fettling but I think its more to do with me not using those combos.

I think since the lbs fitted a compact to my bike my chain comes of in certain ratios (ie being on the bigger cogs and shifting to the small chainring) it also seems to stop coming off without me fettling but I think its more to do with me not using those combos.
Understand where your coming from, it come off once last night, but not once this morning.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm 13 stone and could fit in the medium twice! Another cyclist same size as me picked up the ladies gilet and was a much better fit on him ; i wish i'd got one now.
Yes - I have bought the ladies size of unisex-style garments in the past. Unfortunately Aldi (and Lidl) ignore and exclude a considerable number of potential puchasers by their policy of not offering 'small' sizes for men, and their other sizes appear to be a lottery, I have also noticed that after recent sales of cycling kit there has been lots of stock left over in my local stores - maybe they have saturated the local market. The items offered seem to be less interesting too - more 'middle of the road' and less 'technical'. They must know their market and what they are doing, but I would not be surprised if they reduced the amount of cycling kit offered in the future. (The same comments apply to their running kit sales). IMO Decathlon offer far better value, quality and choice, but they have an equally strange policy of restricting sales by having so few stores.

yello

IMO Decathlon offer far better value, quality and choice,

Agreed.

Aldi/Lidl stuff is what it is. As a business model, it's interesting. They both 'commission' (not sure that's the right word) one-off production runs from places like Crane Sports. Once it's sold then that's it... until next year. It's one part of how they keep the cost down. Quality is variable, depending on the manufacturer. The electrical/computery stuff from Medion (is that just Lidl? or both??) can be good vfm, but rarely exciting or top spec. But that's typically Aldi/Lidl for you - basic.

I know a professional builder who uses Aldi or Lidl power tools - replacing them often but reckons it's cheaper than buying 'name' brands which are either too expensive to be repaired or cannot be repaired. Disposable economy indeed, love it or hate it.

I'm 13 stone and could fit in the medium twice! Another cyclist same size as me picked up the ladies gilet and was a much better fit on him ; i wish i'd got one now.
I just got two of the ladies premium shirts that they had in last time 16-18 perfect fit, I am 6t and 12st. White as oppose to mainly black for the mens, and I got one of the jackets a light grey as opposed to black, though the grey migh not be great visibility wise, I do have bright torches if its murky at all

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes - I have bought the ladies size of unisex-style garments in the past. Unfortunately Aldi (and Lidl) ignore and exclude a considerable number of potential puchasers by their policy of not offering 'small' sizes for men, and their other sizes appear to be a lottery, I have also noticed that after recent sales of cycling kit there has been lots of stock left over in my local stores - maybe they have saturated the local market. The items offered seem to be less interesting too - more 'middle of the road' and less 'technical'. They must know their market and what they are doing, but I would not be surprised if they reduced the amount of cycling kit offered in the future. (The same comments apply to their running kit sales). IMO Decathlon offer far better value, quality and choice, but they have an equally strange policy of restricting sales by having so few stores.
Trouble is i am a medium , 39 " chest normally but they must have stretchy tape measures when making them !

hepburn

I have been really pleased with my aldi cycling trousers. The fit is lovely and the padding is great - much better than my altura shorts.

Actually, I don't think I have been disappointed with any of the cycling stuff from either aldi or lidl (although i'm very new to cycling so my opinion might not be worth much) but if you are wanting to keep costs down just in case the cycling bug is just a flash in the pan then I don't think you can go far wrong by getting your kit from there.

I have been really pleased with my aldi cycling trousers. The fit is lovely and the padding is great - much better than my altura shorts.

Actually, I don't think I have been disappointed with any of the cycling stuff from either aldi or lidl (although i'm very new to cycling so my opinion might not be worth much) but if you are wanting to keep costs down just in case the cycling bug is just a flash in the pan then I don't think you can go far wrong by getting your kit from there.
The padding has got better over recent years.

Top Bottom