ALDI Specials - Thursday 27th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ozzrahog

As Aldi does not do changing rooms does anybody has any idea of the sizing of the tights/trousers guessing my lardy 38 inch waist would be XL

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Id say XL will cover waist 38 yes.

albion

Guru
The pedal spanner, which is one of the more important tools, is missing. I also think those 6 slot spoke keys are worse than useless - they kill spoke nipples.
You might be better off spending an extra tenner getting one of these if you need the pedal spanner, plan on changing chainrings, and want a cassette rather than freewheel tool. I have no idea what the spoke key is like, but I suspect it can't be worse.

The pedal spanners now look very similar in both kits, and using the right choice in 6 that spoke key has been brilliant over the years.

Quality can change up and down but what is the quality of typical EBAY like inferring 'made by Shimano'?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The pedal spanners now look very similar in both kits, and using the right choice in 6 that spoke key has been brilliant over the years.

Quality can change up and down but what is the quality of typical EBAY like inferring 'made by Shimano'?

Perhaps my eyes are failing me, can you see the pedal spanner in the first pic (Aldi kit) below?

Product_detail_Wk39T33.jpg

It is the bottom one in the lid of the (ebay) kit below.

$(KGrHqV,!hcE8nLvl6t,BPoUmHI6Jw~~60_12.JPG

I can't be sure what the quality of either kit is like, but like 95% of anything remotely related to bikes I suspect they are made in either China or Taiwan, and while not brilliant, are adequate for light use. I can't see where the ebay seller infers they are "made by Shimano" either - but in case you are unaware most "Shimano" tools won't work on Campag components.

I have owned one of these kits (made in Taiwan, with some, but not all parts look remarkably similar to those in the ebay kit) for over 5 years, hence noticing how they changed subtly with tools going AWOL quietly - e.g. the Aldi box must have shrunk somewhat although the colour/form remains identical :whistle:. Mine is not brilliant quality, but works well enough for the price to keep in the car. If any is like mine I would have zero hesitation to recommend them to someone who has little/no tool for their bike and not wanting to spend more - if you have to buy them individually you would be lucky to get a third of the tools for the price.

In terms of spoke keys ime the test is when the nipples are a bit corroded (common with alloy ones), or rounded in prior "maintenance".

albion

Guru
Yep, looks quite the same to me. Not sure if the ALdi one has two.
The Aldi ones are Shimano too then.

And tell me, how on earth do you know they have reverted from cassette to freewheel?
My Aldi one is 3 years old and a cassette one.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Why oh why do their cycling shoes always start at a size 8? ... :cursing:

Gez73

Veteran
They're always a fairly large 8 too. I gave mine away recently. Sick of wearing two pairs of socks and still moving about in them.

trampyjoe

Ok going on the logic that XL would be 38 waist .. does that mean that a M or L would fit me and my svelt-like form at 34"? I would guess a M (but I have a feeling that is wishful thinking)?

The gloves look like they might be kind of similar to some I bought from Tchibo years ago for about a fiver. I remember the mysterious "Hipotex" material label. My Tchibo gloves, still going pretty strong, were as good as anything costing £20 I reckon.

Interesting encouraging words about the spoke reflectors - I'd always kind of had the idea that they were the things showy-off kids put on their BSOs but if they are subtle in daylight they might be an idea for extra safety on a workaday bike/tourer?

Col5632

Guru
Ok going on the logic that XL would be 38 waist .. does that mean that a M or L would fit me and my svelt-like form at 34"? I would guess a M (but I have a feeling that is wishful thinking)?

I bought mine a year or so ago and im 32" and im a medium so i would recommend a Large for you ;)

400bhp

Guru

From experience, it honestly depends on your leg size. An Aldi M was a bit tight for me in the past (although I'm about a 32 waist now so a M would be ok), so I go large. My mother's partner is bigger than me but has sparrow like legs, so fits in a L too.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Yep, looks quite the same to me. Not sure if the ALdi one has two.
The Aldi ones are Shimano too then.

And tell me, how on earth do you know they have reverted from cassette to freewheel?
My Aldi one is 3 years old and a cassette one.

I am afraid you are mistaken. Those two are not pedal spanners, they are cone spanners (and the ebay kit has them too). DO NOT use cone spanners on pedals, because they are made thin for hub bearing adjustment hence are not stout. Actually because it is so tempting (15mm, common for hub locknut too) and easy a mistake made by novices, Sheldon wrote specifically about such an abuse.

Tip: I believe each of the two cone spanners included in these kits is designed to handle 13mm, 14mm, 15mm and 16mm. However often a single 17mm cone spanner is also needed for hub bearing adjustment IME, so worth budgeting for one too!

How on earth do I know they have reverted to freewheel? Easy. Not only is freewheel remover the first item listed in Aldi's advert, I can't detect a cassette tool in their photo either (while I think the freewheel remover is the one at 9 o'clock in the bottom part of the case). On the other hand, the cassette tool is clearly visible (and listed) in the ebay advert - it is the one at 10 o'clock in the bottom part of the case - it has the tell-tale centralising pole for QR cassette hubs sticking out on the right.

That said, while not ideal it may be possible to use a Shimano freewheel remover to extract a Shimano cassette lockring (but generally not the other way round). Worth using a QR skewer to keep it in place to stop it slipping though.

Top Bottom