Aldi waterproof Jacket, suitable for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
As the Autumn draws in I'm looking for a cheap (very) waterproof jacket I can throw over jersey, or indeed over my soft shell as we head into winter. Saw this and seems very affordable. Think it would do the ticket? Says breathable so I assume it's not like a "plastic mack" type waterproof and more water "resistant". Which is just what I want cycling. I've got a rear mudguard so not too bothered it doesn't have the extra butt length than most cycling specific jackets do. Anyone had one?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/men's-blue-water-resistant-jacket/p/069208042495400

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Not had an Aldi one but 'breathable' can mean several things from 'not very breathable at all' to 'lets loads of water in'... best bet is buy it and try it. Aldi give you 30 days to return for a refund if you're not happy.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
does the hood pack up? Never been a fan of hoods (aka mini parachutes) whilst riding.
Pair_of_scissors_with_black_handle,_2015-06-07.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have always found waterproof to mean boil in the bag even if its "breathable ", i would rather go for base layer, roubaix fleecy jersey and gilet unless its properly raining .

lutonloony

Über Member
Saw something on telly a while ago. If you can "breathe" through the fabric, it will let water through. It might take a 5m head, but it will leak at some point (5m head not referring to a wearer of a very large hat)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I still got my Aldi jacket, bought about 5 years ago.
Perfectly adequate for the commute, not boil in the bag (but I'm very slow, may be different for you), it stayed waterproof till after 3/4 washes, then you need to reproof it.
Mine is in tatters now, but it lasted as new for 3 winters.
If you happen to find an Altura Night Vision on sale for around £ 30 (I think the Aldi one is £ 24) this would be a better buy imo, better cut and warmer.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But even with the Altura Night Vision you will get damp. It also depends on the length of your commute.

Its too warm at the moment for the Altura night vision. I leave home at 5.30am.

Saw something on telly a while ago. If you can "breathe" through the fabric, it will let water through. It might take a 5m head, but it will leak at some point (5m head not referring to a wearer of a very large hat)
I use a "huff" test for windproofs. If you can't huff through the material, it wont be breathable enough for cycling, but if you can blow right through without any resistance, a cold wind will cut through, so summer use only.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Used the Jacket for the first time today, 1 hour commute, a mixture of light rain, medium rain and heavy rain.
Was immensly impressed! outside i was soaked 100% but inside completely dry, and remarkably, not at all sweaty. I had just cracked the neck ever so slightly. Very very happy.

Top Bottom