Alex Dowsett hour record attempt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
They where born in Northern Ireland and can claim an Irish Passport ... but like myself their British, whether they like it or not ... Dan was born in England ... he's English .... again ...whether he likes it or not ..... He can identify as Irish ..... but he's English ........ He can identify as Daniella .... but he's still Dan ...
Anyway up .....
Back to our Alex .... He's english you know ........^_^^_^
I think you'll find if you called my partner "British" she'd take yer head off....🙄
She's Irish and fiercely proud of it.As for my kids we could have chose either,chose Irish.So I'm not sure of your point ? There Irish ?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
@Adam4868 my children are Irish (wife was born in Galway), so my 16yo has his nationals in Ireland. As a result he couldn't take part this year.
Shame,usually go over for Xmas but it's not looking like it this year.Stayed in Galway for a while years ago,lovely part of the world but feck it's expensive to live their now.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I think you'll find if you called my partner "British" she'd take yer head off....🙄
She's Irish and fiercely proud of it.As for my kids we could have chose either,chose Irish.So I'm not sure of your point ? There Irish ?
Not wishing to cause any upset ..... But anyone born on British soil ... is .. drumroll .... British ....
We fought the Long War to decide this ....
My vested interest is .... born and bred in Ulster / Northern Ireland .. therefore British ... whether i like it or not .....

I take it your partner does not accept any of our nasty British stuff .... like the NHS, state pensions, .. etc ... :laugh:

I'll move on from this forum post .... .... Best of luck Alex ......^_^

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not wishing to cause any upset ..... But anyone born on British soil ... is .. drumroll .... British ....
My vested interest is .... born and bred in Ulster / Northern Ireland .. therefore British ... whether i like it or not .....

I take it your partner does not accept any of our nasty British stuff .... like the NHS, state pensions, .. etc ... :laugh:

TFFT

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru

Lol...fought a long war :rolleyes: That's bollox.
As for accepting things like the NHS,pensions etc why not ? She's put enough in,pays tax and into a pension.Yet your missing the point she's Irish.Whatever twist you want to put on it.

SWSteve

Guru
Just in case anyone is getting baffled by Adam and I ...
Chris Froome .. born and raised in Kenya ... schooled in Kenya and South Africa, rode at international level ... but not for GB, until recently.
Dan Martin, born and raised in England .. Birmingham .. ? re-invented himself as Irish .... ??
He's about as Irish as I am English ...:laugh:

im guessing you didn’t enjoy Irish performance in football over the 80s and 90s?

Landsurfer

Veteran
im guessing you didn’t enjoy Irish performance in football over the 80s and 90s?
Football .... no ... never heard of it ..... .......

Landsurfer

Veteran
The Long War? Which one's that? The Hundred Years War? Can't be, we lost that one big time. Eighty Years War? As I recall we only dabbled in that to piss off the Spanish and for the life of me I can't remember who won in the end, if anyone. Thirty years war? No, deffo not in that one.
What many called "The Troubles" ... was also known as the Long War ........ 30 years of War In Ulster ...

SWSteve

Guru
Football .... no ... never heard of it ..... .......

the point was that many of those playing may not have been ’born’ Irish, but were connected to Ireland, and eligible.

to say you must only be born somewhere to have an affiliation to it, would discount anything being passed from parents in an upbringing. If you had a Scottish and an English parent, but grew up in Wales you wouldn’t necessarily solely identify as Welsh.

Top Bottom