Aliens or the Chinese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Always wonder why they don't just form a Facebook group, or talk nonsense on a forum like this? Get with the times guys (or at least fairly recent times).

yeah actually I have a friend who is doing some stuff via the internet. don't know all the details but I think it kinda defeats the purpose

classic33

Leg End Member
that's cool! I don't see an altitude, or am I missing it?
60,000 feet and steady.
Now in Canadian airspace.
1676646992196.png

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
What do the nano balloons do as in what is their purpose to the Amateur Radio community in the US?

I think the fun is to work out how to build something that will rise to more than 45,000ft and can travel completely round the world giving out a very low powered signal, so the 'tracking stations' have to calculate where to listen, etc, etc.

It's a bit like talking to the international space station. You don't forge life affirming, long term relationships with any of the astronauts, but working out the doppler frequency shift as it comes towards you and moves away, getting your signal pointing in the right direction at the right time, and occasionally getting a reply, gives a sense of achievement.

If you like that sort of thing.

classic33

Leg End Member
Whatever happened to Gary Powers after all the hullabaloo? :scratch:
Exchanged, along with Frederic Pryor( Checkpoint Charlie) and Rudolf Abel on the Glienicke Bridge.

Became a test pilot, then flew a traffic plane/helicopter for a news station. Killed in a crash while doing this.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Whatever happened to Gary Powers after all the hullabaloo? :scratch:

Stolen from Wiki: He became a test pilot for Lockheed and then became a traffic reporting airplane pilot for Los Angeles radio station KGIL.

After that he became a helicopter news reporter for KNBC television where he was flying over the San Fernando Valley on August 1, 1977, when the aircraft crashed, killing him and his cameraman George Spears. They had been recording video following brush fires in Santa Barbara County and were heading back when the crash occurred.

His Bell 206 JetRanger helicopter ran out of fuel and crashed at the Sepulveda Dam recreational area in Encino, California, several miles short of its intended landing site at Burbank Airport. The National Transportation Safety Board report attributed the probable cause of the crash to pilot error.[40] According to Powers's son, an aviation mechanic had repaired a faulty fuel gauge without informing Powers, who subsequently misread it.[41]

At the last moment, he noticed children playing in the area and directed the helicopter elsewhere to avoid landing on them. He might have landed safely if not for the last-second deviation, which compromised his autorotative descent.

DRM

Guru
Exchanged, along with Frederic Pryor( Checkpoint Charlie) and Rudolf Abel on the Glienicke Bridge.

Became a test pilot, then flew a traffic plane/helicopter for a news station. Killed in a crash while doing this.

This ^^^^ was in the film Bridge of Spies, Tom Hanks got him released!, i think the film didn’t depict the bridge very accurately as it was the main transit route between West Berlin & Potsdam in the former DDR for the UK, US & French liaison missions, there was a Soviet & East German checkpoint that they didn’t show iirc

classic33

Leg End Member
This ^^^^ was in the film Bridge of Spies, Tom Hanks got him released!, i think the film didn’t depict the bridge very accurately as it was the main transit route between West Berlin & Potsdam in the former DDR for the UK, US & French liaison missions, there was a Soviet & East German checkpoint that they didn’t show iirc
Ssssh, don't let on.

Top Bottom