Aliens or the Chinese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The Amateur Radio community in the US has been saying for a while that's they were probably some of their nano balloons. As long as they are less than 6kg, the FAA allows them to launch balloons to around 45000ft. They have small transmitters onboard that transmit their location every so often. Ham stations around the world then track them and compile all the data.

But tracking them isn't continuous (which doesn't matter as they're slow moving) so some time has to elapse with no contact before anyone 'worries' they might have gone astray. Which in this case means blasted from the sky by an F22.

Despite all this being sanctioned by the FAA, and all the tracking data being available, the ham community can't get anyone at Space Force HQ or the FBI to even consider this option. They've apparently gone into DEFCON meltdown seeing Reds in Space or Alien Invasion as more likely scenarios rather than some clever blokes in a shed in Wisconsin.

Interestingly, only two countries in the world don't allow amateur nano balloons with data logging transmissions - North Korea and the UK.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Is that you Pong the Unspeakable?

No I'm twin Ping. I was born just moments before Pong

The Amateur Radio community in the US has been saying for a while that's they were probably some of their nano balloons. As long as they are less than 6kg, the FAA allows them to launch balloons to around 45000ft. They have small transmitters onboard that transmit their location every so often. Ham stations around the world then track them and compile all the data.

But tracking them isn't continuous (which doesn't matter as they're slow moving) so some time has to elapse with no contact before anyone 'worries' they might have gone astray. Which in this case means blasted from the sky by an F22.

Despite all this being sanctioned by the FAA, and all the tracking data being available, the ham community can't get anyone at Space Force HQ or the FBI to even consider this option. They've apparently gone into DEFCON meltdown seeing Reds in Space or Alien Invasion as more likely scenarios rather than some clever blokes in a shed in Wisconsin.

Interestingly, only two countries in the world don't allow amateur nano balloons with data logging transmissions - North Korea and the UK.

Thanks for this @Tim Bennet, it had me laughing for several minutes.

So this is possibly the US equivalent of the UK's "Terrorist drone" that closed down Manchester(?) Airport and was quite possibly a large bird?

If it is I really like the classic reactions:

US: blast object out of the sky with a few million dollars worth of hardware; start commie scare.
UK: grumble a bit and queue for hours...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do not be afraid

CAED0F27-D1BA-468C-B9DC-D9ECFF80B50A.png

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Thanks for this @Tim Bennet, it had me laughing for several minutes.

So this is possibly the US equivalent of the UK's "Terrorist drone" that closed down Manchester(?) Airport and was quite possibly a large bird?

If it is I really like the classic reactions:

US: blast object out of the sky with a few million dollars worth of hardware; start commie scare.
UK: grumble a bit and queue for hours...

... then blame foreigners

Brought that up to date for you.

No I'm twin Ping. I was born just moments before Pong

That’s good: pong ping just doesn’t sound right. 🏓
Same as flop-flip. 🩴

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member

What do the nano balloons do as in what is their purpose to the Amateur Radio community in the US?

Top Bottom