All I want are discs and mudguards.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am after a bike for the winter. I currently use a cheap and cheerful aluminium framed bike with a front disc that I have thrown together with bits and pieces I had in the shed.
I am now looking for something that will have discs front and rear. I have looked at quite a few frames that use discs, but alot of them do not allow for mudguards. The main use is commuting to work which is a 16mile round trip, but I do also do a few longer weekend rides.
I am not bothered about the frame material, I have been looking at aluminium, steel, carbon and titanium. I would prefer a frame and fork, as it allows me to build the bike with some spares I already have, but I am also open to a complete bike at the right price.
As you can guess by the frame materials I have been looking at, the price is not set in stone, but I would like to keep the costs under 2k, but would pay more for the right bike.
Not too many guidelines really, so show me what you recommend!

Look for the rear disk located on the chainstay, not the seatstay. This alone is not enough, you also need mudguard eyelets but the chainstay brake position does not interfere. Anyone intending to fit mudguards who buys a frame with no eyelets has to use the various hack such as zipties. rubber bands etc which are poor substitutes for the original bolt on style.
Do you have any style of bike in mind? Road/CX/touring/hybrid/mtb?

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
Most of my miles are on the road. My main bike is a drop bar road bike, I guess I am looking at something similar. Previously I had a Boardman cx bike for commuting, but that was stolen.
I have been looking at the Whyte Wessex, Kinesis AT, ATR and Racelight 4S frames, Dolan GX and RDX frames, any number of titanium road frames! Boardman cx bikes and the ti frameset they do (which I really like, but does not take mudguards!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Sabbath AR1 Ti from Spa if you can push the budget. I just got one for around £2200 with Sram rival, handbuilts, TRP spyre brakes. They do the cheaper (but imo less well finished) Elan (Framesets £1000-1200)

Or a Genesis equilibrium disc or similar from Spa

Planet X have good Ti offers too as do Ribble

vickster

Legendary Member
Yet to fit front mudguard and rack but you get the picture

1EE588E5-58DB-4454-8FA5-96FC5E4114DC.jpeg

si_c

Guru
Yet to fit front mudguard and rack but you get the picture
That's properly gorgeous.

vickster

Legendary Member
My other disc and mudguard machine. They come up fairly often on eBay (I’ve changed the BB5 rubbish to TRP Spyres)

Certainly not in the same league as the Ti of course

Attachments

• 1255DE0D-E2F1-48E1-A5A6-CF6D93C2FAC0.jpeg
    1255DE0D-E2F1-48E1-A5A6-CF6D93C2FAC0.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 158
Top Bottom