All-round walkable SPD shoe for under £50?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Looking for a paid of SPD shoes that I can commute in year-round - so, reasonably warm and lots of unclipping for traffic lights - and that I can walk in without looking too much like Bambi. Shimano XC30 seems like the obvious choice, anyone have any praise/horror stories or would recommend I try something else?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Id look at the mtb style if you want to be able to walk relatively easily.

Plenty have a hybrid look that is quite roadie but with a proper sole and thick tread that hides the cleat when walking
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-m064-mtb-spd-shoes-2014/rp-prod69966

Edit, just seen the xc30 is an mtb...i guess the name should have been a giveaway.

Still the link I post above is a cheaper option

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I bought a pair of XC30 just last week for exactly the same purpose. First impressions are very favourable. Good fit, easy to walk in. And they're only a couple of quid more than the M064 on Chain Reaction at the moment. Bargain.

screenman

Legendary Member
You have to try them on, Shimano shoes just do not fit my shaped feet. I have a few pairs of shoes but none in your price bracket, so i have no knowledge of what will work.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shimano R32. Shop about you'll get them close to your budget. You'll still need overshoes for the coldest of weather, but I don't think you'll find the perfect all round all weather walkable commuter shoe for only fifty sheets.

vickster

Legendary Member
Some styles come in normal and wide widths which may be worth considering depending on your feet

KneesUp

Guru
Adidas Samba. With the added bonus of being able to wear them for other activities. And you will be able to ride your bike in any shoes you like if you get rid of the clipless pedals :smile:

I probably should have gone up two sizes when i got shimano shoes but i have flat wide feet.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have slightly wide feet and have found that Shimano shoes are hopelessly narrow. To get enough width, they end up an inch too long. My last two pairs of SPD MTB style shoes have been North Wave Missions. They are very comfortable, don't get smelly, and look like a normal pair of darkish trainers. I wear them pretty much all the time, on or off the bike. They tend to fall apart after about 18 months of continual use. If you search hard for them, you may still find a pair. I think that they were discontinued not too long ago. I bought my third pair on Ebay a couple of weeks ago but they cost a bit more than £50 because they are getting a bit scarce in my size.

Edit: Specialized shoes are similarly narrow.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Based on my own measurement of my feet, I'm a size 43 and the Shimano XC30 in size 43 fit me perfectly.

My feet are fairly wide but I don't know how wide in objective terms. I usually find most makes of cycling shoe too narrow though.

Downward

Guru
Can anyone recommend some which are waterproof and winter proof ??
Used from Prob October through to March. Used Lidl's own now for years but the latest pair ain't as Waterproof as the ones from 7 years ago !
Thanks

Top Bottom