All Seasons Emoto Electric BIke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greg88

Have you read the relevant legislation or is this just your gut feeling?

No, ill be honest i havnt consulted any relevant legislation to see if its illegal to have a bike fully powered by electricity when she opts not to pedal. I presume from the fact that you mention it; its probably illegal. However; i'm willing to take the risk and shall look elsewhere for advice.

I can see, that perhaps this is not the best place to ask about finding the speed limiter to remedy the issue im facing with improving its performance.

Thanks for your time.

Swift edit:

What counts as an EAPC
An EAPC must have pedals that can be used to propel it.

It must show either:

• the power output
  • the manufacturer of the motor
It must also show either:

• the battery’s voltage
  • the maximum speed of the bike
Its electric motor:

• must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
  • should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
An EAPC can have more than 2 wheels (for example, a tricycle).

From my understanding, An EAPC must have pedals that can be used to propel it. As the bicycle still has pedals, which can propel it, it cannot travel faster than 15.5mph under electric power and has a maximum power output of 250 watts, its still an EAPC. Despite wether its using battery power or not. Regardless of pedals; by your point - it could be considered taking your feet off the pedals whilst going along with a battery would be deemed "illegal". Feel free to correct me if you want, or point me towards further legislation.

Last edited:

shingwell

Hey Everyone - I bought one of these for my mum last night. Ive disconnected this connector under the seat to make the throttle work when not peddling. Is there a speed limiter on this thing; as it seems to only go about 6kmh (3mph?) when on throttle. Her old one, did about 10mph on throttle without peddling and this has the same spec near enough.

Could it be that the battery is only 45% charged and will pick up some oompf when fully charged?
Mine does seem to limit the top speed when the battery is low, but not to that extent.
When in "strictly legal mode" it will still go with just the throttle, no pedalling, but no faster than walking pace, so it sounds like the magic connector under the seat is not doing its magic for whatever reason. Try pedalling and see if it picks up.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
presume from the fact that you mention it; its probably illegal. However; i'm willing to take the risk and shall look elsewhere for advice.

It's your wife who's going to be taking the risk. If she's aware of the potential for committing a number of road traffic offences and doesn't mind then fair enough.

I can see, that perhaps this is not the best place to ask about finding the speed limiter to remedy the issue im facing with improving its performance

There are certainly people on here with the knowledge to assist you, I'm pointing out the pitfalls of using an electric bike that may no longer qualify as an EAPC. Making your wife's bike a twist & go will mean it needs type approval.

What counts as an EAPC ... [snipped]

If you'd continued down the page you quote from you'd have noticed the following:

"Any electric bike that does not meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

The bike must also be type approved if either:

• it does not meet the EAPC rules
  • it can be propelled without pedalling (a ‘twist and go’ EAPC)"

It's up to you (and your wife) if you choose to go ahead with an adaptation that could land her in bother, others tempted to do similar and coming across this thread might be glad of the warning to check legal compliance.

keithmac

Guru
Electric throttles were banned outright on new ebikes 2 or 3 years ago iirc, can go and look it up 2017 rings a bell.

All new bikes should be "Pedal Assist"..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hey Everyone - I bought one of these for my mum last night. Ive disconnected this connector under the seat to make the throttle work when not peddling. Is there a speed limiter on this thing; as it seems to only go about 6kmh (3mph?) when on throttle. Her old one, did about 10mph on throttle without peddling and this has the same spec near enough.

I suspect what you are experiencing is a start up throttle which is legal.

They are limited to a few mph and are designed to enable the rider to get the bike balanced and moving from rest.

No theoretical limit to how far you could go on the start up throttle, but as you've discovered progress is too slow to be worthwhile.

D

Deleted member 26715

Electric throttles were banned outright on new ebikes 2 or 3 years ago iirc, can go and look it up 2017 rings a bell.
All new bikes should be "Pedal Assist"..
I thought it was 2016 but happy to be incorrect, but is there not also the ability for bikes to have "walk assist still" where you can press/turn button to allow the bike to move up to 3ish MPH unpedelled?

keithmac

Guru
I thought it was 2016 but happy to be incorrect, but is there not also the ability for bikes to have "walk assist still" where you can press/turn button to allow the bike to move up to 3ish MPH unpedelled?

Yep that sounds right with the walk assist, I have walk mode on my TSDZ2 equipped bike.

Marstoner

Does anyone know how to inflate the rear tyre on these electric scooters? The gap between the valve and the centre hub is just a few millimetres and nothing that I have is narrow enough to get anywhere near that limited a gap. I know it must be possible but cannot find anything anywhere on the internet to help me.

shingwell

Does anyone know how to inflate the rear tyre on these electric scooters? The gap between the valve and the centre hub is just a few millimetres and nothing that I have is narrow enough to get anywhere near that limited a gap. I know it must be possible but cannot find anything anywhere on the internet to help me.
Mine has a right angled tyre valve. Still a bit tight but I can just get a car tyre inflator on it (the sort you push on and lock with a little lever.)

Attachments

• 20200912_082423.jpg
    20200912_082423.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 9

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

One of the angled schrader valves of the various available should do the job, although you will need to choose carefully.

You didn't know what search terms to use, so without being sarcastic:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ang....69i57j0l7.13997j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Looks like this would go on the valve - then just attach your normal pump to it

if not there are some compressors that have a screw on connector that is very thin - mine has but it came with the car so I don't know the make etc

Marstoner

One of the angled schrader valves of the various available should do the job, although you will need to choose carefully.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ang....69i57j0l7.13997j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Thanks for the advice much appreciated. However the the angled schrader valve adaptors won't go near the tiny gap that is available to me which is only 8mm. My valve is not angled outwards like yours, just straight out pointed at the hub. If my valve was angled at least I would have a fighting chance. I have tried everything I know and spent hours on this but without success.

Marstoner

if not there are some compressors that have a screw on connector that is very thin - mine has but it came with the car so I don't know the make etc

Thanks ebikeerwidnes, was there an attachment to see? didn't get anything on my message from you.

Marstoner

Mine has a right angled tyre valve. Still a bit tight but I can just get a car tyre inflator on it (the sort you push on and lock with a little lever.)
Thanks for the advice much appreciated. However the the angled schrader valve adaptors won't go near the tiny gap that is available to me which is only 8mm. And thanks Shingwell for you photo but my valve is not angled outwards like yours, just straight out pointed at the hub. If my valve was angled at least I would have a fighting chance. I have tried everything I know and spent hours on this but without success.

Top Bottom