All spokes loose on new wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I am having the worst of luck with my rear wheel.

After a bit of bother I had a brand new Raleigh rear road wheel fitted by LBS, although the wheel was from Halfords.

Cycling along today about 80km in and bike starts going from side to side. Stop and find that almost all the spokes are loose on the wheel, although more on one side than the other. (I did stop a kilometre before and checked it was true and not fouling brakes, which of course it did - with no load).

I will take it back to Halfords tomorrow morning, in fact I don't have a choice because I can't easily get home otherwise. My question is

If they simply offer to retrue it would this be "as good as new", or should I insist on a new wheel? The wheel was a like-for-like replacement which did over 10k so I don't think it is that the wheel is inadequate, more faulty manufacture.

Thanks for your advice.

classic33

Leg End Member
I am having the worst of luck with my rear wheel.

After a bit of bother I had a brand new Raleigh rear road wheel fitted by LBS, although the wheel was from Halfords.

Cycling along today about 80km in and bike starts going from side to side. Stop and find that almost all the spokes are loose on the wheel, although more on one side than the other. (I did stop a kilometre before and checked it was true and not fouling brakes, which of course it did - with no load).

I will take it back to Halfords tomorrow morning, in fact I don't have a choice because I can't easily get home otherwise. My question is

If they simply offer to retrue it would this be "as good as new", or should I insist on a new wheel? The wheel was a like-for-like replacement which did over 10k so I don't think it is that the wheel is inadequate, more faulty manufacture.

Thanks for your advice.
I'd insist on new.

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
If the wheel was fitted by your LBS then they have responsibility as I guess you paid them....
I paid for the wheel at Halfords then in a fit of enthusiasm I thought I'd fit it myself because they said it would be a weeks wait. After realising it was beyond my basic cycle skills I took it to LBS who fitted it that same afternoon.

I don't think it is the LBS fault, as the spokes were definitely tensioned then. It must be a faulty wheel, in which case surely Halfords have some duty to refit it as well? Not "we'll give you a refund if you remove the rear cassette and freewheel yourself". At least I hope so, I am sure it is not a big job vs the goodwill they would lose.

Is it the new Halfords Pringle range of wheels?
Pringles last longer, but otherwise yes.

classic33

Leg End Member
I paid for the wheel at Halfords then in a fit of enthusiasm I thought I'd fit it myself because they said it would be a weeks wait. After realising it was beyond my basic cycle skills I took it to LBS who fitted it that same afternoon.
If the wheel was fitted by your LBS then they have responsibility as I guess you paid them....
Supplier of the wheel, I'd say.
I don't think it is the LBS fault, as the spokes were definitely tensioned then. It must be a faulty wheel, in which case surely Halfords have some duty to refit it as well? Not "we'll give you a refund if you remove the rear cassette and freewheel yourself". At least I hope so, I am sure it is not a big job vs the goodwill they would lose.
I'd not expect them to fit it for me.

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Thanks. Hopefully whatever they do it will be quick, just finished a 12 hour night shift. Plan to walk to halfords then retire to spoons for a cooked brekkie and maybe a pint until this whole thing blows over.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's quite common for an inexpensive wheel to need retensioning after it has been ridden a bit.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Under-tensioned spokes will often loosen in use. Probably no harm done. As YS says, it just needs the attention of a skilled person (your LBS might be a better bet than Halfords)..

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Well Halfords are fixing it free of charge. They reckon incorrectly set up by LBS because the wheel isnt in the centre of the forks so it put extra stress on it rather than a faulty wheel.

But as they are fixing it they can say a unicorn sat on it for all I care.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well Halfords are fixing it free of charge. They reckon incorrectly set up by LBS because the wheel isnt in the centre of the forks so it put extra stress on it rather than a faulty wheel.

But as they are fixing it they can say a unicorn sat on it for all I care.
How can a wheel be 'incorrectly set' by anyone unless the axle has been fiddled with, surely all the LBS did was fit a cassette on there and sort the indexing out. However if the wheel hadn't been stress relieved and trued when built it could well go 'off centre' as the tension changed.

How can a wheel be 'incorrectly set' by anyone unless the axle has been fiddled with, surely all the LBS did was fit a cassette on there and sort the indexing out. However if the wheel hadn't been stress relieved and trued when built it could well go 'off centre' as the tension changed.
Now now. Don't go and ruin a perfect cop-out with facts. That question is not allowed.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As RN & YS say, Halfords are talking sh1te. A wheel is set in a jig and that is correct regardless of how poorly aligned a frame is. If a wheels dish is altered to suit a frame then it is a bodge and I suspect your LBS would have commented had they had to do this.
It was a carp wheel from the start and no amount of inept jiggery pokery by the Halfords monkeys is going to resolve this in the long term.

Top Bottom