All that shouting on group rides, 'Car-Up, Car-Down' etc ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tandem club started using 'oil' as it seemed if a van passed instead of the shouted 'car' then some thought the shout was wrong and it got silly to have car/van/lorry/truck/motorbike/HGV (or is that LGV ;-) ). So oil was chosen to cover all eventualities (electric vehicles have oil somewhere for lubricaction - before anyone goes there!).

If you must warn a wayward rider then just 'oil' is fine, so no need for up/down/sideways or whatever. A warning is only needed for the spatially inept, or to dissuade the same inept rider moving out without looking when cars are about, and having said that anyone who needs repeated warnings shouldn't be on the road in a group.

We get 'slowing' and 'stopping' on some rides, but that's to do with the unobservant members who don't realise that if the person in front stops pedalling you will fairly quickly catch them up... I still prefer the craic of riding in company even if the running commentary is a bit annoying.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Tandem club started using 'oil' .

"Oil up" used to be the standard warning when I began cycling with a club.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've only experienced this once, when I did a charity ride from Carlisle to Norwich. No shouting, but every time we passed a drain or degraded verge one of the riders would point at it. Every time. I can see it, I'm right behind you, I can see where I'm going. Stop pointing. Nice bloke, I mean he meant well but then so did Hitler.
Disagree - this can be really useful, if the lead riders are warning you of real potential problems ahead - you can't always see where your going if you are riding in a tight group. A shout of 'Hole' may also be helpful.

edit - Perfect example of Godwins Law in operation BTW.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Disagree - this can be really useful, if the lead riders are warning you of real potential problems ahead - you can't always see where your going if you are riding in a tight group. A shout of 'Hole' may also be helpful.
If your lead pair aren't looking up the road and spotting danger/parked cars/potholes/traffic cones and steering the group around them, they shouldn't be at the front, your safety is in their hands..

Reactions: 4F

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A loose coalition of cycling friends, none of whom are experienced clubmen, our informal 'club' known as Sinjuns Wheelers, tell me they welcome Car up! Car down! and Hole!, accompanied by a pointing action, and Gravel! accompanied by a shooing motion. Bollards are few and far between on our rides.

Such calls are valued especially when the riders are riding two abreast on single track roads and are deep in concentration. [EDIT: or even conversation] And given at least one of them suffers from chronic MLC's and has ridden onto the verge, or into a large pothole, and crashed, more than once, I think I'll keep calling. And I'll wave cars up, and try to stop up with a rear facing palm, and most drivers in these parts seem to appreciate it.

My rides. My rules.

*Momentary Lapses in Concentration

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've never ridden in a group, my regular ride buddy however started going on a few group rides last year, he does it now when it's just me and him, gets on my nerves if I'm honest but being a pleasant sort of a fella I let him get on with it, it keeps him happy I guess.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bollard warnings are fine if only for comedic value.

You omitted 'bungalow!'

Can be a bit odd at first when riding in a group, especially the pointing at potholes/poor road surface which is done with the opposite arm to the side the hazard is on (took me far too long to figure that one out :blush: ).

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Can be a bit odd at first when riding in a group, especially the pointing at potholes/poor road surface which is done with the opposite arm to the side the hazard is on (took me far too long to figure that one out :blush: ).
? Huh? We don't do that - are you referring to the arm across the back to indicate an obstruction - for example badly parked/unexpected car/van, walkers etc - if on left, left arm across back hand pointing right?

Venod

Eh up
? Huh? We don't do that - are you referring to the arm across the back to indicate an obstruction - for example badly parked/unexpected car/van, walkers etc - if on left, left arm across back hand pointing right?

No not another Left/Right conundrum,

I've noticed if I am out with the old guys there is less shouting going on, I too get fed up of the constant car up car down with every passing vehicle, but it has its moments, pointing out potholes is very welcome.

Exactly so. Seasoned club riders will all use the "car up" or "car down" shout and for good reason. If you are riding in a group where your vision is compromised by others around you on narrow roads [not necessary on major A roads] then a 2 word warning can save possible conflict with a vehicle. We almost never shout for an obstruction / pothole, just use a hand signal. If you are relatively new to cycling or never done bunch riding these shouts and signals may seem strange or unnecessary, not so, they have been used for decades and work very well. Even when just the 2 of us are out on narrow lanes riding side by side we still warn each other if a car is present in case either of us wasn't aware.

Top Bottom