All that shouting on group rides, 'Car-Up, Car-Down' etc ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Start off on slower group rides with more space between the wheels so you can see the potholes coming and you're not going to crash if you veer off your line eg when reaching for a bottle. Find a club that's going to take you through this and educate you on club etiquette. Progress to faster rides as your skills develop. When I joined my first club the first year of club riding was regarded as an apprenticeship.
That's fine and dandy, but most clubs don't (or at least didn't) do this at all well .... you just get chucked into the deep end. Finding clubs and people within them that are happy to do this is still IMO rare. It's the reason we founded our own club to promote group riding regardless oif speed or ambition.
Times are hopefully a-changing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Progress to faster rides as your skills develop.
Choose no life. Choose no job. Choose no career. Choose no family. Choose a fstasfck sprinting bike. Choose parts the price of washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical gear shifters. Choose bad health, broken bones and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments to fund your bikes. Choose no friends. Choose lycra and matching saddlebag. Choose a three-bike set on hire purchase in a range of f'ing colours. Choose training and wondering who the F you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that saddle watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing pace lines, stuffing f'ing junk sugar gels into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a veterans group, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f'ed up brats Lance inspired to replace you. Choose your future. Choose life. Choose freewheeling instead ;)

(original)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Choose no life. Choose no job. Choose no career. Choose no family. Choose a fstasfck sprinting bike. Choose parts the price of washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical gear shifters. Choose bad health, broken bones and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments to fund your bikes. Choose no friends. Choose lycra and matching saddlebag. Choose a three-bike set on hire purchase in a range of f'ing colours. Choose training and wondering who the F you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that saddle watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing pace lines, stuffing f'ing junk sugar gels into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a veterans group, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f'ed up brats Lance inspired to replace you. Choose your future. Choose life. Choose freewheeling instead ;)

(original)

In fact, Choose Abingdon Freewheeling!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KmbKHO4sG8

It's not just the festival though ... oh no, we do this stuff all year with our mellow and beginners rides etc. and it's a heap of fun!

Come and join us on the 19th of April!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry - I'm probably sportive-bothering ;) that day but you're welcome to come across and join KLWNBUG for a mellow Reach Ride from Ely Station 10am on Bank Holiday Monday 4th May (there's a bigger one from Cambridge Guildhall at the same time and a Reach-to-Cambridge ride starting 2pm) - or less easily reachable but just as welcome: Snowdrop Ride Lynnsport 10am Sun 22 Feb, Samaritans Fancy Dress (wizards and witches this year) Sandringham 10am Sun 19 May, Rose Ride Lynnsport 10am Sat 4 July (I think).

There are shorter rides in the build-up to them, but details will be confirmed on our web page as they approach.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd just like to say, just to be contrarian, that it doesn't bother me in the least. . Nor does it bother me when people point out holes or do that funny pointy finger behind the back thing to indicate an obstruction. I'd also add - just to be even more controversial - that I am very often overtaken by club rides when I'm out on my own, and they have never bothered me either Just an "on your right" whoosh whoosh whoosh and they're gone.

Am I bovvered? Actually, no.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Now was it a call of "All up!" that confused once confused @redfalo or a call of "Olaf" that confused everyone else?
That's exactly right. It happened on my first FNRttC in February 2010. I actually shouted back "I'm here" a couple of times :rofl:

I have to say that I find the "car down" / "car up" shout quite useful, especially on lanes and long Audaxes, where you're focus might slip.

However, the by far most important shout on group rides is "Easy!"

Top Bottom