All the best laid plans.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's better than Rhyl.

is there anywhere that isn't better than rhyl

Domus

Guru
Having some friends staying this weekend so planned a ride for Friday, the alarm system was due to be updated first thing so expected to get out around 11 ish.
Thursday night had a call re alarm, they had a commercial customer with a fault that needed urgent attention and would be a bit late getting to us.
They finished our alarm at 3 ish, too late for a decent ride so decided to go out Saturday before our friends turned up. Horrible wet drizzle cleared up at 10.30 off I went for a short ride to get back for a late lunch and shower etc. only for them not to arrive until 6 Grrrrrr
Could have got in a 50 K instead of a 28 K

Oh well

johnnyb47

Guru
Rhyl used to be an amazing place back in the 70,s early 80,s.
I used to often go there as a kid and the place was a buzzing sea side town back then.
It was clean and had amazing ,well kept manicured gardens all along the sea front. All the shops where small independent businesses which ment they all offered variety, unlike today's towns and city's which just look like clones of each other with there nation shop chains..
I always remember the giant Victorian glass house on the sea front. It was huge and housed thousands of different species of tropical plants inside. I also vaguely remembering all the tropical birds in there like parrots etc..
On the sea front it was always packed out with holiday makers. There was a giant bicycle course for the kids. It was so exciting to get the chance to use it when you where a youngster. The large outdoor padding pools where bursting to the brim when the sun was out.
The sea front also had a Mono Rail at one point. The train really look futuristic at the time and turned many heads as it went past. Between all the attractions along the sea front, it was broken up by amazing garden's, that were immaculately looked after with pride.
Across the road every building was opened for business. The Arcades were full , people queuing outside the Fish and Chip shops. The buildings were well looked after and always freshly painted. There was also a large indoor Victorian market that was like an Aladdin,s cave. Even as a youngster I found it great to look around.
The fair ground was always a rough and ready place to visit but it was like the grand finale of the day to visit.
25 years on though it's totally unrecognizable. Most of the green flora has all but disappeared , many of the building's are now just derelict ruins and the ones that are open are just multi national Chain's of shops. The sea front is now that built up, you cannot even see the sea anymore which makes the whole point of feeling your now not at the see side. I really hope that Rhyl does make a come back one day because it's got the great underpinnings to be something great .There was a big drug problem there with a lot of the Bed and breakfast hotels turned into bedsits that housed down and outs from the cities..It's not a nice place to see taking your kids somewhere where you see drug addicts high on spice.
On the positive side though, money and investment is being poured into the place as there are some green shoots of life showing through. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to enjoy Rhyl back in its hey day when it was alive and vibrant , :-)

I used to often go there as a kid and the place was a buzzing sea side town back then.
It was clean and had amazing ,well kept manicured gardens all along the sea front. All the shops where small independent businesses which ment they all offered variety, unlike today's towns and city's which just look like clones of each other with there nation shop chains..
I always remember the giant Victorian glass house on the sea front. It was huge and housed thousands of different species of tropical plants inside. I also vaguely remembering all the tropical birds in there like parrots etc..
On the sea front it was always packed out with holiday makers. There was a giant bicycle course for the kids. It was so exciting to get the chance to use it when you where a youngster. The large outdoor padding pools where bursting to the brim when the sun was out.
The sea front also had a Mono Rail at one point. The train really look futuristic at the time and turned many heads as it went past. Between all the attractions along the sea front, it was broken up by amazing garden's, that were immaculately looked after with pride.
Across the road every building was opened for business. The Arcades were full , people queuing outside the Fish and Chip shops. The buildings were well looked after and always freshly painted. There was also a large indoor Victorian market that was like an Aladdin,s cave. Even as a youngster I found it great to look around.
The fair ground was always a rough and ready place to visit but it was like the grand finale of the day to visit.
25 years on though it's totally unrecognizable. Most of the green flora has all but disappeared , many of the building's are now just derelict ruins and the ones that are open are just multi national Chain's of shops. The sea front is now that built up, you cannot even see the sea anymore which makes the whole point of feeling your now not at the see side. I really hope that Rhyl does make a come back one day because it's got the great underpinnings to be something great .There was a big drug problem there with a lot of the Bed and breakfast hotels turned into bedsits that housed down and outs from the cities..It's not a nice place to see taking your kids somewhere where you see drug addicts high on spice.
On the positive side though, money and investment is being poured into the place as there are some green shoots of life showing through. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to enjoy Rhyl back in its hey day when it was alive and vibrant , :-)
Pretty much my own memories but through the late 60's and early 70's for me. It was the place to go, Prestatyn, Towyn etc.... Rum Truffles, bingo, arcades, fairground rides, great memories.

That's exactly how I remember it, that's what makes it so sad now

Top Bottom