All these bad driver threads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's been a civilised discussion Fossy - glad you finally joined the conversatoin

Ugg ugg..what was that...ugg ugg..

get out of the cuffin way...argh...... sorry txtng whilst riding..flip peds in the way................... :biggrin:

I have drove every day for the last 13 years in those years I have had 2 accidents one was someone running into the back of me and the other was a motorbike undertaking at a junction(it was eventually put down as a 50-50)

.... The only tie I get really angry with this stuff is when my children are in the car....

On my bike generally people pass me with plenty space, even when people have passed in the zone that you would call too close in trucks or buses at 60mph I have not been caught in any draughts and have not felt the need to shout at anyone.

I think what has to be remembered is people generally drive because they need to not because they want to (like cyclists) due to this they are stuck in traffic jams they dont want to be in, the whole point of cars is a-b as fast as you can, and it is faster than public transport (in Glasgow) I dont see the point in antagonising them further if a driver passes to close and does not blow me about or skiff me then I wont bother or report them or put their reg no on you tube, I think you are inviting yourself into bother with this and the camera aint much good if it gets whipped off your head and smashed.

Hopefully a voice of reason and not just seen as a "driver"

Driving experience as car vs car really cannot be compared against car vs cyclist. Varying issues are a car driver will worry/consider more about another 1000kg of car coming the other way, and won't have to be overtaken by tens of cars per trip.

You say you get angry when your children are in the car - does this mean someone can/it's okay to drive more dangerously when it's just you? You are a father to these kids and you don't worry that one day they will be without a dad? Surely responsible driving shouldn't relate to who is in the car.

Realistically people don't rip cameras of of peoples heads and smash their faces in - this is some whimsical fantasy that is even rare as just a threat. If anything, you'd more likely to be attacked without it than with.

But you are right... of course... if we do nothing about dangerous driving etc, nothing at all.............. it will make everything better.

Of course.

Gandalf

Veteran
I do get irritated by the accusation that posting helmet cam footage is a total waste of time, or worse. Quixotic tilting it may be a lot of the time, but once in a while you get a positive response. What's that quote/misquote...... "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" or words to that effect.

Here's the contents of an email I received recently after I complained to the company concerned. Not only was he on phone, he was steering one handed through a width restriction.

Thank you for your email in regards to one of my staff members driving whilst using a mobile phone. I can assure you that I will be sending out a letter to all members of staff that drive one of our vehicles to remind them about using a mobile phone whilst driving, I have spoken with my CEO and we will be bringing in a fine for any of my staff that receive a complaint either for using a mobile phone or any issues with their driving.

All our engineers have been given either a wired or Bluetooth earpiece for use with the company mobile so I can only think that this mobile phone was a personal mobile phone being used.

Thank you for the offer of the video, this will not be necessary as all our vehicles are fitted with a tracking device and should be easy to track which van was in the area at the time given.

We take complaint very seriously especially when driving a vehicle as this can cause serious accidents.

If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Based on the example above, one could argue that the footage made no difference, but not all companies have trackers on their vehicles or are as willing to respond so positively.

I don't know how many drivers the company employs, but it is a fair sized operation, so I might have made a difference.

Who knows, it might even influence the way they drive outside of working hours. ;)

Some people also drive aggressively and dangerously because they have no fear of the Police or our justice system.

Or couldn't care less anyway.I was talking to a motorist about this yesterday and I said some motorists drive far too aggressively and he agreed....You don't get this in some other countries I have cycled in.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My take on the bad motorist threads is that we need to look at our own adherence to the road rules before criticising others (whatever their mode of transport), lest we be guilty of hypocrisy.

al78

Guru
My take on the bad motorist threads is that we need to look at our own adherence to the road rules before criticising others (whatever their mode of transport), lest we be guilty of hypocrisy.

Assuming "our own" here means as an individual and not as cyclists as a group.

I have no control over, and thus am not responsible for the misbehaviour of other cyclists.

Gandalf

Veteran

Maybe so, but comparing a cyclist with a Tonne of metal travelling at 30 MPH or more is not proportionate.

How many cyclists killed or seriously injured other road users last year?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Maybe so, but comparing a cyclist with a Tonne of metal travelling at 30 MPH or more is not proportionate.

How many cyclists killed or seriously injured other road users last year?

Gandalf, I was making no comparisons, simply using the old "judge not lest ye be judged" under another name. I certainly agree with you that a motor vehicle has far more potential to cause damage than a bicycle.

al78, yes by "our own" I meant as individuals.

Regards,

--- Victor.

Top Bottom