All these bad driver threads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't disagree with helmet cameras and posting videos on youtube but I do think that people should be more selective in what they post.

sunnyjim

.<snip> ...i do  not “truly” believe that all BMW drivers are cocks, I am certain that not all Head cam wearers are cocks either...although there is an undeniable correlation in both instances ....<\snip>.

Nicely put. You are a master of diplomacy.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I don't believe that drivers are out to hurt us deliberately.

They may make bad judgements or misunderstand how driving so close can sh1t scare a cyclist.

There are however a minority of drivers who want to "scare" us, "teach us a lesson" by driving deliberately aggressively - overtaking far too close, speeding up behind a cyclist who is indicating to pull out, that sort of thing. They may not be trying to physically hurt us (although plenty would be glad if their actions caused a cyclist to fall) but they are deliberately trying to upset and scare, and they put us at risk that their driving is not as good as they think it is. Which by definition is isn't, because if they were skilled drivers they wouldn't have a problem with cyclists.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There are however a minority of drivers who want to "scare" us, "teach us a lesson" by driving deliberately aggressively

Perhaps, but I can honestly say that in nearly two years of all weather long-distance commuting, I have never had a run in with any driver.

There've been driver errors and that's precisely how I've viewed them. I don't shout at drivers or shake my head or point the finger. However, I do, as MacB noted earlier, thank drivers for considerate driving, even where their consideration didn't involve them doing anything extraordinary.

Perhaps Yorkshire has nicer drivers than others areas and / or perhaps I've been lucky.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Gosh 9 pages !!!!

Don't forget it's usually a place to rant and 'get things off ones chest' - someone may have written that already, but I couldn't be bothered to read 9 pages ! :smile:

There are however a minority of drivers who want to "scare" us, "teach us a lesson" by driving deliberately aggressively

Perhaps, but I can honestly say that in nearly two years of all weather long-distance commuting, I have never had a run in with any driver.

There've been driver errors and that's precisely how I've viewed them. I don't shout at drivers or shake my head or point the finger. However, I do, as MacB noted earlier, thank drivers for considerate driving, even where their consideration didn't involve them doing anything extraordinary.

Perhaps Yorkshire has nicer drivers than others areas and / or perhaps I've been lucky.

Indeed, I know that many of us on here have had things thrown at them or had boo shouted at from closely passing cars, let alone having people play 'chicken' using their cars, so you (and I, mostly) have been lucky. There is certainly a lot more accidentally dangerous bad driving than deliberately aggressive or threatening driving, but both are more common than they should be, certainly than you have experienced - you lucky thing
wink.gif

Something that can make a difference, and I've seen examples on here, is positive reinforcement. I know Mikey has contacted firms to compliment a driver, I have and there are a few others. There's also quite a few of us that smile and wave at drivers, make eye contact and generally try to make their actions feel appreciated, even if they're only doing what they should. It quickly becomes second nature and I've seen immediate benefits. For example, I used to find I could have problems when a vehicle was really patient about overtaking me. The following vehicles could often get impatient and give less room and cut back in sharply. Since I started using a wave of thanks to the first driver my impression has been that it's seen by others behind and seems to cool them down.

When I started riding I got quite uptight and had a few confrontations, but it was having a negative impact on me and I was struggling to see the good. I enjoy my riding much more by taking a more relaxed attitude, I did the same when I commuted by car.

I have to agree with you, I now thank all drivers that slow down behind me, and a lot do respond in positive manner and I think its helps them to understand that not all cyclists a bad cyclists and that we do care. Its got to the point where if they slow down at a roundabout, but its my right of way I still thank them for not killing me !

classic33

Leg End Member
As a person who has been taken across the road by a car coming out of a side road, I'll say this. I don't expect that every driver wants to the same thing. As such that junction isn't perceived by me as being any more dangerous, to myself, now than before.

Driver in that instance was:
Driving a vehicle with no lights on.
Not aware that he had to give way to a cyclist. Me being on the main road.
Driving whilst under the influence.
Convinced that I was a bus.
Driving a vehicle, that wasn't his. Had no insurance to drive the vehicle. Vehicle had no VED.
Aware that I was on the bonnet but thought I'd come off. Possibly so that he could then just carry on driving.
Gave false details to the police who attended.
Left me p****** off, sore & with only the vehicle registration to work with/from.

At that point I could have lost my job, because I don't drive the only way of getting there was to cycle. Not on a bus route & early starts/late finishes meant walking to the nearest one wasn't possible.

So not every driver is out to get you. Its just the ones who do seem to feel that they can get away with it. Even the police said I was "only a cyclist".

Any helmet camera footage from that would have to heavily edited. Sadly I didn't have one at the time.

Remember the line from Knight Rider. "One man can make a difference". So maybe, bit by bit we will start to make a difference in how people behave on the roads.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There are however a minority of drivers who want to "scare" us, "teach us a lesson" by driving deliberately aggressively - overtaking far too close, speeding up behind a cyclist who is indicating to pull out, that sort of thing. They may not be trying to physically hurt us (although plenty would be glad if their actions caused a cyclist to fall) but they are deliberately trying to upset and scare, and they put us at risk that their driving is not as good as they think it is. Which by definition is isn't, because if they were skilled drivers they wouldn't have a problem with cyclists.

I am sure that this is true and that these types of people would act the same way whether they were in a car, on the pavement or just sitting on the bus.

Thankfully though, I have never met one on my travel and the only really nasty incident I have been involved in was partially my own making as I chose to confront the driver.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

too true (except the yorkshire bit...horrid people ;))

I would suggest we take it even further and try to smile when someone makes a mistake (or does something daft) a look of "you were lucky there matey" accompanied with the appropriate smile, often elicits a small wave of apology and some extra respect later when you inevitably meet again at the lights.

BSRU

A Human Being

Some people also drive aggressively and dangerously because they have no fear of the Police or our justice system.

classic33

Leg End Member
I wondered how long it would be before we started to quote Knightrider!! ;)

When you think about it, its true. One shot can start a war.
We've tried working from the top down & met with little success. Maybe if we now try working from the bottom, upwards on the problem we might just get something done.

Blimey! Look what happens when I'm not around! :smile:

I'm a bit busy so can't take full part in this (glanced at the discussion) However, I noticed that there was a question about it making a difference. I think someone already mentioned my recent visit from a company. I've also had 1000 stickers asking bus drivers to Give Cyclists Room placed in bus cabs, I've had a driver charged with dangerous driving (not proud of that of course), and I've had a number of other companies claiming to take take matters seriously. Not to mention of course my media attention...B):biggrin:

It can make a difference, I think I have, but it certainly can be misused, and I am always happy for people to tell me if they think I have missused it. Any real friend would.

Top Bottom