Allen Bolt Rounded Off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

And one more question...

Do any disk brake pads work on any disc brake.
I need to replace the ones on the voodoo.

THANKS.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

And if so what would you recommend.

I have one that goes down to and fits a 2 mm bolt , in my trade I use it a lot.

I am sure you do, but it is not a tool for the layman. Being made of hardened steel, these things break very easily. I would imagine that a 2mm one would break at the slightest indiscretion with the tap handle. Secondly, getting a hole drilled down a 3mm bolt requires skill and preferably a jig of sorts. I doubt someone with a hand drill can do that, especially on a handlebar that's difficult to clamp and keep still.

The Grabit doesn't require much skill and the tool is robust. It works great on small dia screws.

I have another extractor set for precision jobs. It comprises a couple of varying thicknesses shafts with splines and a special socket that fits each shaft so that you can turn it. First you drill a hole in a dia made for the shaft, then drive the shaft into the hole, then fit the socket and turn. Each shaft also has a drilling jig so you can centre the hole and get it nice and straight down the screw. Again, not for the layman.

I'm a sucker for tools and I usually have more than one solution to a single problem at hand. But some are appropriate for the job, others not. I feel the Eezi out is not. I had a 1964 Mercedes 230SL with an Eezi Out stuck in the engine block. I had to remove a welsh plug and the bolt - as they do - broke off in the block. I botched the Eezi-Out because of the difficulty in working where I had to. It snapped off when I didn't apply torque perfectly perpendicularly. That posed a huge problem because you cannot drill into an Eezi out. There is one very innovative welsh plug in that block. When I sold the car I wrote an accompanying note to be kept in the service manual so that the next sucker understood what was going on in there.

Flyboy

If the steel is tempered properly it will twist before it breaks .

Jody

Stubborn git
What tools do you find to be essential when maintaining you bike.Thanks.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStIkmYq_3-p0E74cGcD27X6s6Bk7tYLwvPtPlxWQqp3Kzo85hPlw.jpg

Something like this is pretty handy especially when out riding. You can do most of what you need with it.

Superstar pads have worked well for me. If you still need to bleed that brake, the Tektro bleed kits are a tenner, cheaper than taking it to the LBS.

Top Bottom