Allen Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hi,

I was tightening my headset yesterday when I rounded the inside of the allen bolt. Any ideas for the best way to get it out? I was thinking mole grips but I can only just get on the bolt and didn't want to ruin any chance I have.

p.s. Next time I'll just pop into my local shop...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Is that Usain's brother???

You can drill into it and then get it out with some tool or other.

Might be best just to go down the shop though!

yello

If you can support the allen bolt sufficiently, you maybe able to drive a torx key (one size up from the allen head) into it. I've done it before but only only where the allen bolt is into something solid, dunno how you'd get on with it being in a headset though.

Mr Pig

If you tighten the other bolt it'll help take the pressure of the one you're trying to remove.

A lot depends on how tight it is. If it's really solid you're better just to drill the thing out. Use a drill slightly bigger than the hole and drill until the head of the bolt falls off. Take your time and stop regularly so that you drill the head off and no more.

Once the head is off there is no pressure on the shank of the bolt and you should be able to spin it back out with a small flat screwdriver or something.

Next time make sure that your Allan keys are high quality, in good condition and don't over tighten the bolts! ;0)

Matthames

Über Member
zimzum42 said:
Is that Usain's brother???

You can drill into it and then get it out with some tool or other.

Might be best just to go down the shop though!

There is a tool you can get which is a bit like this one:

If you click the picture there is a link to somewhere that sells them.

barq

Before you try the more destructive methods :blush: you can try gluing (Araldite?) a sacrificial hex key into the bolt.

Rounded heads are a pain, but you can pretty much always get the bolt out you just have to patiently work your way through different methods starting with the least destructive. :biggrin:

Matthames said:
There is a tool you can get which is a bit like this one:

If you click the picture there is a link to somewhere that sells them.

I'm sorry but I have a set of these and find they are utterly useless for what they are intended to be used for. They are called Easyouts or something similar. It may be because mine are of doubtful quality though.

Mr Pig

barq said:
you can try gluing (Araldite?) a sacrificial hex key into the bolt.

That's a good idea, never heard of that one.

dodgy

Paul Narramore said:
I'm sorry but I have a set of these and find they are utterly useless for what they are intended to be used for. They are called Easyouts or something similar. It may be because mine are of doubtful quality though.

I've got a set of them and have never found them to be effective either.

byegad

Legendary Member
Paul Narramore said:

They snap like carrots but may do the job, I'd try the slot method first.

Alf

Guru
barq said:
Before you try the more destructive methods :smile: you can try gluing (Araldite?) a sacrificial hex key into the bolt.

Rounded heads are a pain, but you can pretty much always get the bolt out you just have to patiently work your way through different methods starting with the least destructive. :angry:
A slight tweak on this method, which I have used where a screw thread has been mangled, is to put a layer of ptfe tape around the allen key then a liberal coating of araldite, then put it into the hole and wait for it to set. You have to find some method of keeping the allen key upright in the hole while it sets too.

Alf

02GF74

Über Member
Farky said:
Hi,

I was tightening my headset yesterday when I rounded the inside of the allen bolt.

confused.

head set is tightened using 2 large think nuts with quilll type stem - the stem would have an allen bolt into a wedge to hold it in place in the steerer.

an a-headset head set would have allen bolt but these do not need to be tightened very much = either you over did it, or have poor quality bolt -
the headset in this case is held in place by the stem, two bolts usually.

I am assumming the latter.

If you have a dremel, then use a fine cutting tip to cut a slot in the bolt head but the araldite method should work as the bolt must have been loose since you tightened it .... unless it is rusted in and the hex part rounded off due to too much torque.

otherwise you need to drill off the bolt head.

I use stainless steel allen bolts as have steel bolts go rusty.

Paul Narramore said:

I agree. They're ok until you break one (which you will) in the head of the bolt you're trying to remove. Then you've got a stuck bolt with a bit of hardened steel poking out of it, making it very tricky to drill it out. Which is what you should have done in the first place.
Araldite on the allen key is a good idea.

02GF74

Über Member
wot e says about them; if they snap, and inevitably they do, you stuck with having to drill hardened steel.

now these things, 'Pro-Grabit' screw & bolt remoer, is the dogs danglies.
Bantam147.jpg

Top Bottom