Allez Sport tyre upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wardy

Been thinking of changing to 25c tyres on my Specialized Allez Sport but a Cycling Plus review of the Allez Triple said that an increase from 23c wasn't possible. Does anyone know if the Sport version of this bike WOULD take the bigger size?

potsy

Rambler
I'd be amazed if it didn't. Do you know the size of the rims by any chance?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd be amazed if it didn't. Do you know the size of the rims by any chance?

I think it's more to do with clearances between the frame and tyres than the rim size, though 25c is not a huge tyre and becoming more common for everyday and even club/training bikes.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Can I ask why you want to change?

I have just swappd from 25 down to 23 and I dont think it made much of a difference to be honest.

If you are set on changing then there is a pair of Specialized all condition pro 700/25 for sale in the classified section - much cheapness!

*PLUG-PLUG!!!*

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Can I ask why you want to change?

I wanted to increase comfort Paul. I find that if I have the 23's pumped up hard I feel every single indentation on the road surface! On a long journey that literally becomes a pain.

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

I think it's more to do with clearances between the frame and tyres than the rim size, though 25c is not a huge tyre and becoming more common for everyday and even club/training bikes.
Thanks FF. Measuring the width available with a steel rule seemed to show that 25c's could be accomodated, but I wondered if under load the tyre would deform beyond that.

Rebel Ian

If it's a comfort thing why not run with slightly lower tyre pressures?

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

From my experience you wont notice any real difference in comfort, certinly not enough to buy an new set of tyres for.

You might want to try a softer saddle and/ or some gel pads under the bar tape. I think there is a saddle for free on the classified section that might be a bit more squidgey.
http://www.cyclechat...comfort-saddle/

Thanks Paul, the "default" saddle is quite comfortable actually; it's more the effects on ones hands after a few miles. I've now added some extra padding and have increased the height of the bars which help a bit.

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

If it's a comfort thing why not run with slightly lower tyre pressures?

Thanks RI but I've always understood that keeping tyres pumped up hard minimises p*#+*<$#s! I'm nervous enough about running on skimpy 23's without adding to the risks!

potsy

Rambler
An Allez running on fully pumped up 23mm tyres is not exactly built for comfort Wardy.
What psi do you run the tyres at now?

Do you wear padded gloves and padded shorts?
If you do then it might be an idea as others have said to drop the psi a bit, I run mine at around 120 but am sure they'd be fine at 110, or even 100.
If that doesn't work then maybe go up to 25's but try the air pressure 1st as it's free!!

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

An Allez running on fully pumped up 23mm tyres is not exactly built for comfort Wardy.
What psi do you run the tyres at now?

Do you wear padded gloves and padded shorts?
If you do then it might be an idea as others have said to drop the psi a bit, I run mine at around 120 but am sure they'd be fine at 110, or even 100.
If that doesn't work then maybe go up to 25's but try the air pressure 1st as it's free!!

I suppose not. I normally run them between 115-120 Potsy. I DO wear either padded mitts or gloves and a little padding at the derriere, but as I say I don't have a problem at the rear.

e-rider

crappy member
don't buy 25mm tyres!

if you want to increase comfort you'll not achieve it by adding 2mm to your tyre width

try a different pressure - 85-90psi

otherwise, just get used to it. I know on heavily pot-holed roads it can be a real pain on a road bike but nothing will cure this except a new road surface or a full sus MTB.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
don't buy 25mm tyres!

if you want to increase comfort you'll not achieve it by adding 2mm to your tyre width

try a different pressure - 85-90psi

otherwise, just get used to it. I know on heavily pot-holed roads it can be a real pain on a road bike but nothing will cure this except a new road surface or a full sus MTB.

Tyres with thinner/more supple sidewalls will be more pliant over rough ground. Michelin PR3s are more comfortable than Bonty Hardcases or OEM Kendas for example.

Top Bottom