Allez Sport tyre upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Thanks guys. I'd been thinking of getting something like Schwalbe Durano Plus or Marathon Plus as they have the extra insert making them more comfortable AND less likely to p......e. But I understand they are pretty difficult to put on. Mark you, I suppose after the first "installation" you are less likely to need taking them off again for a while.

potsy

Rambler
I have both of those tyres Wardy, on different bikes and I will be buying more of them once they wear out.
The Duranos' are nowhere near as tough to fit as the M+ in fact I found them easier than the lightweight Conti's I had previously.
Not the lightest of tyres, or as tough as M+ as the insert is thinner, they also have a Max psi rating if 145!! so if you want to pump then to the max I doubt they'll be any more comfortable
biggrin.gif

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I suppose not. I normally run them between 115-120 Potsy. I DO wear either padded mitts or gloves and a little padding at the derriere, but as I say I don't have a problem at the rear.

Do you run the front tyre at the same pressure as the rear?

Normally I run the front at at 5psi less than the rear. Simply for comfort, it doesn't need as much pressure as it has less weight over it. Makes a difference without increasing rolling efficiency (may actually increase it, fully hard tyres are not alwways the fastest).
Also make-sure the headset is properly adjusted, even the tiniest amounts of play creates some chatter and the fork does not seem to dissipate the energy as effectively as it should.

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

I have both of those tyres Wardy, on different bikes and I will be buying more of them once they wear out.
The Duranos' are nowhere near as tough to fit as the M+ in fact I found them easier than the lightweight Conti's I had previously.
Not the lightest of tyres, or as tough as M+ as the insert is thinner, they also have a Max psi rating if 145!! so if you want to pump then to the max I doubt they'll be any more comfortable
biggrin.gif
Sounds good Potsy. Are they both 23's? And did you use the folding type as I believe they are easier to fit? Some psi that!

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Do you run the front tyre at the same pressure as the rear?

Normally I run the front at at 5psi less than the rear. Simply for comfort, it doesn't need as much pressure as it has less weight over it. Makes a difference without increasing rolling efficiency (may actually increase it, fully hard tyres are not alwways the fastest).
Also make-sure the headset is properly adjusted, even the tiniest amounts of play creates some chatter and the fork does not seem to dissipate the energy as effectively as it should.
That's interesting FF, I'd never thought of reducing the front tyre pressure. Might give that a go.

potsy

Rambler
Yes Durano+ 23's Wardy, as FF says you don't need quite as much air in the front as there isn't the same weight on the front of the bike.
Folding ones and yes they were fairly easy to fit and re-fit.

petmcgratt

Have you had your bike set up looked at. It might be that you might need to make some fine adjustments to saddle height, handlebar positioning etc if you have not already done so. I used to rely alot on leaning on the brake hoods but sometimes by doing that you can apply some pressure to your wrists. I use a specialized allez sport as my winter bike and had to make adjustments to the handlebars after several months to get the most comfortable position. I ended up rotating them slightly forward to get a comfortable grip for when using the drops. Is you saddle height ok aswell. Sometimes if the saddle is too high you can shift to much weight forward on to your wrists when resting on the hoods making the ride less comfortable.

I have now got a nice comfortable position where i rest my fingers on the straight part of the handlebars, almost like the position used for climbing which means I am not gripping the bars tightly. It all is down to personal preferences.

I too upgraded my tyres to the michelin pro 3 but the back tyre had worn down after several months of cycling. The front tyre is still ok.

OP
OP
Wardy

Wardy

Have you had your bike set up looked at. It might be that you might need to make some fine adjustments to saddle height, handlebar positioning etc if you have not already done so. I used to rely alot on leaning on the brake hoods but sometimes by doing that you can apply some pressure to your wrists. I use a specialized allez sport as my winter bike and had to make adjustments to the handlebars after several months to get the most comfortable position. I ended up rotating them slightly forward to get a comfortable grip for when using the drops. Is you saddle height ok aswell. Sometimes if the saddle is too high you can shift to much weight forward on to your wrists when resting on the hoods making the ride less comfortable.

I have now got a nice comfortable position where i rest my fingers on the straight part of the handlebars, almost like the position used for climbing which means I am not gripping the bars tightly. It all is down to personal preferences.

I too upgraded my tyres to the michelin pro 3 but the back tyre had worn down after several months of cycling. The front tyre is still ok.
Thanks for that PetMac! The saddle is set up at the correct height ok and before going down the route of different tyres I've tried two other remedies: 1) wrapping the tops of the bars with old 3mm Karrimat and then normal tape and 2) fitting a stem raiser. I've not had a chance to see how these work out with all the snow/ice we've had, but hope to this weekend. With hindsight, I might have been better getting a Spesh Secteur instead of the Allez.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Good post.
Regarding the PR3s, the rear does square-off and wear fairly quickly compared to most other tyres, but that's because they're a lightweight race tyre. The upside though is really phenomenal grip (also good in the wet), low rolling resistance and a nice pliant ride. not the commuters choice, but for the 'best-bike'.

U

User6179

I went from spesh sirrus with suspension seat post too racer with carbon post and 50 miles on the racer feels sorer than 100 on the spesh both have same tyres as i took them off the spesh too put on racer,swapped the seat also.

I cant put the suspension post on the racer as it seats me about an inch too high.

So for me on long journeys a suspension post is a must.

On the subject of marathon tyres i find if you cellotape them on at one end and work away from yourself they are easy too fit depending on rim size.

cheers eddy

Top Bottom