"Allow traffic to filter from left"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Out on one of my regular circuits today, I saw the above sign which I've never come across before.

It one of those temporary-looking signs (black writing on a yellow background, on an A-frame at ground level), on the approach to a 3-way mini-roundabout where there's an option to turn either left or right..

What's that all about? Has anyone seen one of those before?

It seems to be an attempt to (almost) turn the mini-roundabout into a T-junction (as it was many years ago), except that presumably traffic approaching from the left intending to turn right still has priority over oncoming traffic.

I've almost been taken out on that roundabout before by a car from the left that didn't stop, and I've no wish to end up like Harold Day*, but I'm blowed if I'm going to give way to every Tom, Dick or Harry when it's still marked as a roundabout.

Before I ring the council and ask WTF, advice would be appreciated from anyone who has encountered a similar setup.

* "Here lies the body of Harold Day, who insisted on his right of way"

Drago

Legendary Member
Then shape and colouring indicate its not a mandatory instruction. Just ignore.

I would phone and ask what is the reason for the sign, by what lawful authority or order has it been placed there, and will council be accepting liability for injury or damage caused as a result of obeying their instruction instead of the prevailing traffic rules.

Drago

Legendary Member
It is indeed, but I'd still want reassurance they'd be compensating me if I had a smack while following their instructions.

My brother in law is a highway engineer, so I'll ask him when I see him. Alas, I can't stand my Sister so I'm in no hurry.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Thanks for the responses.

I'll be talking to the council tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what they say. In the meantime I'll go back and take some photos, and also see if there is any complementary signage for traffic approaching the roundabout in the other two directions.

As it stands, observing the sign (albeit not mandatory) and giving way to traffic coming onto the roundabout from the left isn't going to put me at risk, but it goes against the grain to do that when I should have right of way.

Drago

Legendary Member
It might not appear to put you at risk, but I wouldn't be complacent. When long established conventions are irrationally over ruled you can trust people to become unpredictable by not knowing which of the two rules they will abide by. Others will misunderstand, or be uncertain, and this will affect their behaviour.

That unpredictably creates opportunity for risk.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I would put it on FixMyStreet, I've been fobbed off by the council for some of their more dangerous ideas but as soon as it is on FMS - and presumably available to insurers and solicitors - it is quickly removed. Normally with a "reply" claiming it never existed in the first place.

That said I live in Oxfordshire where the county council have replaced their entire highways department with some sort of desperate traffic signal sales department.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
On one of my regular routes there's a skid risk sign in English and Welsh. Not sure how many Welsh speakers there are in mid-Hampshire. It's political correctness gawn maaaad! None of this after Brexit!

Drago

Legendary Member
Mud On Road signs annoy me. Blummen clear it up then!

gbb

Legendary Member
It might not appear to put you at risk, but I wouldn't be complacent. When long established conventions are irrationally over ruled you can trust people to become unpredictable by not knowing which of the two rules they will abide by. Others will misunderstand, or be uncertain, and this will affect their behaviour.

That unpredictably creates opportunity for risk.
Precisely. Round here there is an increasing amount of road markings at roundabouts which allow / encourage left hand lane (dual carriageway) to stay in that lane to turn right. Meh, its ok because there is usually no left turn at those particular roundabouts and still two lanes to exit straight on or turn right, there's enough room for everyone.....but now i see an increasing amount of drivers applying that to EVERY roundabout, you just can't be sure what anyones doing now (particually because its a long running problem in Peterborough of the almost epidemic amount of drivers that don't signal)

Changing the rules locally often spreads, not by design, by numptiness.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Well I spoke to the council - mine was the second call they have had about it today !

Apparently the sign shouldn't be there at all (now), having been installed by British Gas while doing some works, in the context of which it presumably made more sense, and left behind by an oversight once they'd finished.

Slightly disappointing to find that the council haven't been trying to reinvent 100 years of roundabout usage, but at least the potential hazard will be gone soon.

DSCN7708_resized.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Well I spoke to the council - mine was the second call they have had about it today !

Apparently the sign shouldn't be there at all (now), having been installed by British Gas while doing some works, in the context of which it presumably made more sense, and left behind by an oversight once they'd finished.

Slightly disappointing to find that the council haven't been trying to reinvent 100 years of roundabout usage, but at least the potential hazard will be gone soon.

View attachment 344903
Did say it was a roadworks sign.

Top Bottom