1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost came a cropper

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by yorkshiregoth, 24 May 2008.

1. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Cycling home from work this morning, and I felt my shoe lace get caught in my crank. For a split second I forgot I was on my fixie, and tried to stop pedalling to unclip & clear it. Almost got thrown off for my troubles, but luckily the lace then snapped. :ohmy::blush:

2. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I spend my life telling cyclists to tie up their laces ... its one of my bug bears after having to pick up someone off the road who was firmly attatched to their pedal.

3. MERV

MERV New Member

Oh yeah I just dont know how many times my laces have gotten tangled.:biggrin:

4. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I have had that problem (although not on a fixie) a few time, now I always try to remember to tuck the loose ends under the cross lacing on the shoe (if that makes any sense).

5. Odyssey

Odyssey New Member

I'm familiar with the term, but does anyone know what 'a cropper' is?

6. MERV

MERV New Member

7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

When I was a kid I had two cool things. One was a purple MkII Chopper and the other was a seven-foot long Dr Who scarf my mum knitted for me! :0)

You know what's coming don't you? Happily peddling along one day the effort required started to increase. Then I felt a tug on my neck! My poor scarf was mangled round the back gear wheel. No risk of injury but I was disappointed about my scarf :0(

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

You were lucky the lace broke as staying on a fixie when you stop peddaling is not easy, I know because many years ago I ended up going over the handlebars and had the scars to prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man Senior Member

No laces on my cycling shoes !!

10. Gandalf

Gandalf Über Member

I used to have that problem before I started using Lock-Laces. Highly recommended.

I know most cycling shoes don't have laces these days but my Lidl SPDs do as it happens.

11. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

There was a kid on a Penny Farthing today who tried to show off(i think) and stopped peddling and went over the handlebars, taking the bike with him. I knew it was going to be done by someone.:biggrin:

12. Ludwig

Ludwig road stud

I remember in the 70's my flared trousers getting caught in the chain but can't say I've had any shoelace problems whilst biking.

13. Trillian

Trillian New Member

my flares have occasionally caught on my cotter pins!

14. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

Hey! Michael Crawford. Nice of you to join in.

15. davidtq

davidtq New Member

If they are the same lidl spd shoes as I use dont they have the velcro bit at the top? tuck the laces into that when you close it to guarantee no chance of laces coming into contact with anything but the shoe :biggrin: