Almost hit head on at roughly 65mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
When I used to ride regularly on the roads, long straight, subsided and narrow where I am, I'd get this happen a couple of times a week. Worst was an Audi that was road racing another car, BMW I think, anyway it pulled out at must have been 80+mph to overtake the other car. It was approaching me just like your situation and I jumped for my life with my bike and two heavy panniers off the road over a verge and into drainage ditch. The daffodil didn't even try to swerve or anything. Had I remained on the road riding totally lawfully where I was just like you I would have been killed.

I had that done to me a few years ago. I was waving my arm as he approached and he went under it at about 70mph.
I didn't ride at all for a while after, and the road bike hasn't been out since.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That reminds me of when i was travelling on a similar long straight road years ago. Some twat overtaking with his arm resting casually on the wound down windowed door missed me by inches,he must've been doing the same speed as that twat in the video!:dry:

Matthames

Über Member
I have had worse than that. I got nearly taken out by some @$£# in a Jag. But instead of a combined speed of 85mph, the combined speed would have been more like 120mph+ by the fact that I was riding a motorcycle at the time. Also I was riding in the offside position which you normally ride in on a motorcycle, so when I saw what was going on I had no choice but to get over and get onto the brakes.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Worst was an Audi that was road racing another car, BMW I think, anyway it pulled out at must have been 80+mph to overtake the other car. It was approaching me just like your situation and I jumped for my life with my bike and two heavy panniers off the road over a verge and into drainage ditch. The **** didn't even try to swerve or anything. Had I remained on the road riding totally lawfully where I was just like you I would have been killed.
What an ar5e! (Not you crankers, the driver :thumbsup:).
In cases like that and the OPs, I would like to be out on an old clunker and then have the presence of mind to jump off to the side, but leave the bike in the cars path. See how they like the damage to the underside of their car. Perhaps a fork through the petrol tank and an instant explosion, a la James Bond films :smile:.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you happened to chuck your water bottle at the approaching car's windscreen and caused a crash, you would be blamed.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you happened to chuck your water bottle at the approaching car's windscreen and caused a crash, you would be blamed.
Unless you just happened to be drinking from it at the time, and were panicked by the oncoming car as you tried to get your hand back on the bars. Not quite sure how you would explain why you were drinking from a bottle filled with ball bearings, however :whistle:.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Not advisable to chuck it forward at the car as as it could bounce back and hit you. It's best to throw it to the side of you so that the car drives into it. Aluminium bottles are far better than bouncy plastic ones!:whistle:

Crankarm

Guru
Unless you just happened to be drinking from it at the time, and were panicked by the oncoming car as you tried to get your hand back on the bars. Not quite sure how you would explain why you were drinking from a bottle filled with ball bearings, however :whistle:.

How about a heavy D-lock. Kerching!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Well its a good job u had a helmet on certainly proves a lot to those who dont wear them the cameras great
1973894-1973297_manuel_que_super.jpg

The canute was wearing a hi-vis gilet as well. Get this footage to your local plod who will probably do nothing.

Any one done a check to see if the car has insurance, MOT and tax?

Your experience was strikingly similar to this one although the cyclist Mark Robinson was killed out right as he was driven into head on at 70mph by complete w****r Matthew Rice.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Hun...Killer-driver-is-sued-by-father-of-victim.htm
I wrote a thread yesterday asking what happens to drivers who cause accidents or deaths like these and I only seen this because I was checking to see if my thread had any replies. I still havn't checked it but I think this has answered my question. 20 WEEKS!!! I would call it almost manslaughter.

Top Bottom