England : Norfolk Almost the shortest night, night ride round the coast - 23rd May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Did I say Hull? I meant Cleethorpes...
Ah.
At least it's not the other coast...

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Sounds lovely, but it's the night before Dogtrousers' London to Warwickshire ride :sad:.

I was trying to remember which ride it was that I'd booked myself on for the 31st. :tongue:
Ah, good point. OK, we'll go with Plan B. Seeing as some other peeps will be having a jolly "en France" anyway, how about doing this a week, earlier, on Friday 23rd May?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah, good point. OK, we'll go with Plan B. Seeing as some other peeps will be having a jolly "en France" anyway, how about doing this a week, earlier, on Friday 23rd May?
Isn't the jolly round France on the 23rd? Or do you mean while they are having their jolly? I was thinking of riding to Newhaven on the 22nd to see them off.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
One way or another, I can't make the 23rd. Assuming I get the night off, I'll be at the O2 for Nine Inch Nails, no way I could make a train in time afterwards.

A thought: As this is the metaphorical back of beyond and there'll be nothing open anyway, would a Saturday night as per the Weston ride not work just as well?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
One way or another, I can't make the 23rd. Assuming I get the night off, I'll be at the O2 for Nine Inch Nails, no way I could make a train in time afterwards.

A thought: As this is the metaphorical back of beyond and there'll be nothing open anyway, would a Saturday night as per the Weston ride not work just as well?

The only snag is that on a Sunday the first train from Felixstowe to London is not until 11:25. :eek:

Ignore - not sure why I typed in Felixstowe. Although from Lowestoft, you'd have to wait until 8:05. So that would still mean a few hours sat waiting in McDonalds.........

Sorry.

Last edited:

Wobbly John

Veteran
Put me down as a probable.

As mentioned up-thread, I've done a similar ride before, but not as far round the coast as Low'stoft.

I'd stay off the main roads up to Hunst'n, it could well be full of caravans on a Friday evening. NCN 1 is a good route from KL - It's a couple of miles West to Hunstanton from Ringstead.

I usually ride NCN1 east across the North of Norfolk - it's a mile or so inland from the busy A149 coast road. I'd aim to pick up the coast road somewhere around Wells-Next-Sea.

The Lord Nelson in Burnham Thorpe is the sort of pub that is usually still open at midnight and is a facinating place. but finding places open 24 hrs is a problem - even cafes that open before 9.30 is difficult.:headshake:

It's a suprisingly hilly ride and on wet roads, be prepared for flinty p*nct*r*s.

If you did the route in the day, you'd be able to apreciate the scenery and do things like ride through Holkham Hall grounds - always my recommended highlight of cycling North Norfolk.

simgsxr

Adam, just to let you know between mile 30 - 31, Lady Ann's Road is an entrance to Holkham Beech car park & then is a rough cycle path / footpath at the edge of the pine forest to Beech Road.....would be advisable to stay on the A149

Wobbly John

Veteran
Yeah, the Holkham beach to Wells beach path can be sandy and muddy - might not be best at night. It's behind a bank of pines from the beach.

Are we not having a paddle at Hunst'n?

The only bit of the route I haven't ridden is Hemsby to Low'stoft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom