Alpe Du Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
I quite like the Alpe, and according to Strava I’ve done it 15 times. I don’t subscribe so can’t see full data but the slowest I can see of my efforts in preview is 1:10 and the fastest is 45:21

So whatever your result first time round @Dan77 you can be almost certain you’ll beat it significantly in the end 🙂
I've done it 16 times, it's always a good challenge (although I really need to get over to Ven-Top).

My first ride up it was the slowest, at 1h 40m.
1606680068095.png

As for the other 15 times?
1606679991750.png

Yes, August the 9th...
1606680148049.png

That's where the 100% trainer difficulty really bites (it did on my first ascent of the Alpe, too). Raw wattage doesn't consider the strain on your knees. But just fit a nice dinnerplate and you'll be fine!

CXRAndy

Guru
Adjust the difficulty to allow you to run on the 3rd easiest rear cog with your preferred cadence. The other two easier gears are for bailout when legs are really feeling it.

Difficulty just alters the gear position for you

You see a lot of people doing 60-minute workouts (often freeride workouts) on the Alpe. It's the same effect as setting the trainer to 0% difficulty and relying on watts being watts, but you get better XP as workouts give XP for the effort, not the distance and you rack up much more of the former than the latter on the Alpe! That said, never log off at the top of the climb - always coast back down for free XP :smile:

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

You see a lot of people doing 60-minute workouts (often freeride workouts) on the Alpe. It's the same effect as setting the trainer to 0% difficulty and relying on watts being watts, but you get better XP as workouts give XP for the effort, not the distance and you rack up much more of the former than the latter on the Alpe! That said, never log off at the top of the climb - always coast back down for free XP :smile:

Yeah... I'm never one to waste a downhill stretch. Hence going for tour of fire and ice. A free volcano descent to get warmed up on.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Think from memory there are a couple of bits at 13% , the first part is steepest but there is a kick later on
Maybe turn resistance down a bit but I am with burninglegs , why tackle a climb that isn’t going to feel like a climb
Just my opinion though
Enjoy it , you know what pace you can sustain so just ignore what others are doing - and look out for the yeti

As said above, don't pace yourself against others - you don't know what their strategy is. And don't look up.
I got 1:30:37 back in March but that was on a dumb trainer and on the back of a lot of Zwift training. All of my subsequent attempts at climbing the Alpe have failed, usually around turn 10 (but that's because I let my zwift membership lapse and have barely turned a pedal all year)

si_c

Guru
Just pace yourself for what you think you can manage for about an hour and a half.

Relax into it and enjoy the ride. You can try to go faster next time round.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Well it was slow but I did it. 1:53:57 for the Alpe. Averaged 1.6w/kg.

Set a slow pace to make sure I made it. Not sure how much faster I could do it but will give it another go before too long. Got a lousy helmet from the spinner at the top.

Top Bottom