Alpe Du Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Do you have any interest in racing, @Legs ?

There is a race series starting next week (Xwift Racing League) where CycleChat have two B Cat teams and a C Cat team entered.

If you are into racing then I'm sure you could race in one of those teams with us? Especially in B Cat, we have more spaces there 🙂

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Hi @BurningLegs,

Thanks for the kind thought. Yes, I am interested in racing, but I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands because of trying to fit work around homeschooling and childcare. I'm also horrifically unfit compared to where I was at last time I raced (nearly 20 years ago)! I'd be right at the bottom of the pile of B Category since my specific threshold power is only 3.2W/kg...

Maybe once I've shifted a few excess kilos, re-learnt how to suffer, upped my threshold power and upgraded my Zwift steed...

mjd1988

Guru
Hi @BurningLegs,

Thanks for the kind thought. Yes, I am interested in racing, but I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands because of trying to fit work around homeschooling and childcare. I'm also horrifically unfit compared to where I was at last time I raced (nearly 20 years ago)! I'd be right at the bottom of the pile of B Category since my specific threshold power is only 3.2W/kg...

Maybe once I've shifted a few excess kilos, re-learnt how to suffer, upped my threshold power and upgraded my Zwift steed...

Congrats on your time up the alpe! Since I got the Tron bike and light wheels I've been avoiding it so just try and fix that soon.

Nothing wrong with bottom of B group! We have two b teams in different leagues and in ZRL every position counts so if you are interested in it at all/Tuesday evenings work for you then just let us know, keen to build up a squad as some people like to dip in and out. We don't take it crazy seriously (well a race is a race but we aren't going to obsess about who came where as long as everyone does their best!).

Our teams race at different times on Tuesday 1815 and 1945; the later time works better for a few of us with toddlers, and we are in a slightly easier league.

Any interest at all let me know and can add to the group chat with no obligation.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Made my 2nd ascent today on TdZ stage 3.
1st was a safe 133 watts and 114 minutes pacing myself to ensure I made it.
Today was 150 watts and 101 minutes all out.
Those times just for the Alpe Du Zwift segment.
I have a long way to go to improve but I'm going to set a target of 90 minutes. Whether I can do that before the weather improves I doubt it. I reckon I need to push out more like 170 watts average to do that. I'm going to aim for May.

Hit 88km/hr on the way down. No power ups or draft. Long way to go to 100km/hr.

Also, I got the fricken gloves.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

I think you’re being too tough on yourself @Dan77 your time has already improved by 10% in a very short time, you’re clearly getting things right. Keep up the good work, and try to enjoy it 🙂

Thanks. I was definitely playing safe on the first one though. Didn't want to not make it on my first attempt without knowing what to expect. I was still knackered at the top though so I've definitely improved. Just finished 6 weeks of FTP builder so going to give the legs a well earned day off tomorrow and then do an FTP test....or more likely ramp test lite because that's what I did last time so a good way to compare like for like.

CXRAndy

Guru
Gives yourself a few days off, then do FTP. This will be give you the best chance for the training block to boost your fitness

AlanW

Guru
1610969746296.png

AlanW

Guru
Although less climbing, but 11 times up Box Hill crippled me!!

I think the problem with Box Hill is its "only" around a 10 minute climb so you tend to remain seated all the time, unlike on Alpe de Zwift when you can get out of the saddle on the steeper sections and give your knees some rest bite?

1610969975537.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Although less climbing, but 11 times up Box Hill crippled me!!

I think the problem with Box Hill is its "only" around a 10 minute climb so you tend to remain seated all the time, unlike on Alpe de Zwift when you can get out of the saddle on the steeper sections and give your knees some rest bite?

View attachment 569505

6-7 hours on a turbo, it's not me knees I'd be worried out. My poor bum.

Top Bottom