Alpkit Cycle Bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Does anyone have any Alpkit gear on their bikes? If so, what's it like for practicality and durability?
I'll be picking up my new bike in a few weeks. I was planning on getting a CAADX and fitting guards and a pannier rack but since I've ended up falling in love with a much prettier bike (Equilibrium Disc 10) I'm rather loath to despoil it with such paraphernalia. A rack might work if I could whip it on and off every weekend but I don't think that's going to do it much good in the long run, constantly loosening the tension and then bolting it back on again. Not to mention time wasting doing so once a week.
I'm not convinced by seat-post racks.
Then I saw these and wondered if they might prove ideal for carrying lunch and waterproofs to work during the week in the Stingray plus keys, wallet and spare inner tube/multi-tool in the Fuel Pod. Seems they are easy to strap on and off and can take a decent volume of gear, but they're not cheap, and without being able to get to grips with them before ordering I'd be concerned about how durable they are and how well the Stingray would take a lunchbox plus extras without bulging out and interfering with my pedalling.
If anyone's got either item and can give feedback, or is thinking of getting some of their gear for similar purpose I'd be pleased to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/stingray
https://www.alpkit.com/products/fuel-pod

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I haven't used those bits but I do have various bits of their kit from dry bags to jackets. I've used the Airlok dry bags to hold stuff in the pannier bags or strapped to the outside of a pannier bag, and I have used the Airlok Extra as a bag on a bike when I needed to be flexible (or on a borrowed bike etc) but I prefer panniers any day as it moves around more and is fiddly to attach in comparison to a pannier or to get things out of.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I haven't used those bits but I do have various bits of their kit from dry bags to jackets. I've used the Airlok dry bags to hold stuff in the pannier bags or strapped to the outside of a pannier bag, and I have used the Airlok Extra as a bag on a bike when I needed to be flexible (or on a borrowed bike etc) but I prefer panniers any day as it moves around more and is fiddly to attach in comparison to a pannier or to get things out of.
Thanks for the feedback.
I think a pannier is likely to be a better system overall but I like the idea of the versatility of a system where you can whip it off in seconds, rather than have to have a rack on all the time when not in use, or fiddle about taking it off every weekend and potentially scratching the frame/spoiling the tension in the rack.
How were you attaching the Airlok bags?
I'd hope the Stingray wouldn't move about too much with it attaching to the downtube, seat tube and top tube but would love to try before splashing the £100.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've attached them either to the handle bars is there is no rack on a borrowed bike or used the pannier rack at the back on a folder (when my panniers were too long).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Alpkit Airlok Xtra 13L, about 9 months, mostly bungee-strapped to the top of various rear racks (a couple of times strapped and clipped on the front of a handlebar but I don't like the effect on handling) - it's picked up a bit of dirt but otherwise seems unharmed. It's no pannier but it's much smaller, quicker and easier to carry.

the snail

Guru
A saddlebag might be a better option, carradice , ortlieb etc sell a variety of sizes/styles with quick release mounts, probably get more capacity without getting in the way, and no need for a rack.

HorTs

Über Member
I've used Alpkit stuff but not the bike luggage as yet.

I have used Apidura luggage with has a similar design which has been excellent.

I've looked at all the options a few months ago and decided to use the Airlock Xtras (for a work trip), train to Chesterfield then cycled across the Peak district to Liverpool, then 2 days commuting and then back. Wanted to take my good CF bike, so racks/ panniers were out.

I had the 3l bag on the handlebars, 5l bag on the seat post - attached with the straps they sell and as per the video on their web site.
Easily managed to fit everything for the trip. For your list of stuff a 3l bag should be ok I think.

Positives:
- The bags didn't seem to affect the handling, even on fast Peak descents
- seem to be good quality, no leaks or breakages
- didn't have any problems with them wobbling around, but I guess it helps to have them filled up and padded out with clothes
- cheap!

Negatives:
- Slightly fiddly to put on/off the bike, maybe 2-3 minutes for each bag

I'd use them again for credit card touring and for the odd commuting trip as well, but perhaps not if I had to take them on/off twice a day regularly. At £6.50 for the 3l bag you might as well give it a try...

djb1971

Legendary Member
I use an alpkit koala and a standard alpkit airlok tapered seat pack. They hold lots, are very hard wearing and rock solid once strapped to your saddle. The koala is the best version with the right sized bag fitted, the tapered airlok bag is a bit of a faff to get onto the bike with straps without using the koala. The frame bags are good but you'll loose bottle mounts, but you can drop a bottle into the bag anyway. The only thing with the frame bags, you can't pick your bike up easily with it fitted.

They are both very unobtrusive once fitted, they'd easily hold waterproofs, snacks and keys etc. mine holds a medium sized tarp, bivvy bag, pegs and groundsheet.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I have used Apidura luggage with has a similar design which has been excellent.

Thanks for that, they do look quality, though pricey. Was keen on the frame bag idea and they only seem to do smaller versions.

I had the 3l bag on the handlebars, 5l bag on the seat post - attached with the straps they sell and as per the video on their web site.
Easily managed to fit everything for the trip. For your list of stuff a 3l bag should be ok I think.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think they're ideal for my needs really as I'm keen to avoid anything hanging off the handlebars/seatpost on my daily commute and need something that is easy to get in and out of for keys etc and easy to pop on and off the bike ideally. That said, I'd not realised how cheap they were so if I decide to get a Stingray from them I'll def add a couple of those to the order for carrying clothes etc in on my next challenge ride, whenever that ends up being.

I use an alpkit koala and a standard alpkit airlok tapered seat pack.
So the airlock goes inside the Koala to provide extra protection from moisture etc?

They are both very unobtrusive once fitted, they'd easily hold waterproofs, snacks and keys etc. mine holds a medium sized tarp, bivvy bag, pegs and groundsheet.
When you say both, do you mean the Koala and Airlock? Or Koala and frame bag? Not sure from your post if you've tried a frame bag yourself? I did think about the loss of bottle cage and the lifting thing, but my thinking was Stingray all week with lunchbox and waterproofs in for work, then whip this off the frame at weekends and pop the bottle cages back on on for leisure rides. Have you had a frame bag and if so is it easy to whip on and off the bike and would it take a pack-up box, bottle, a few water proofs and a diary etc do you think?
Cheers.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I use the airlok tapered separate from the koala, it comes with straps and the webbing strap on the bag to thread straps through, the koala is a better bag. Both are very waterproof and have welded seams. All of the bags are unobtrusive:thumbsup:

I've had a frame bag but not a stingray, I prefer the seat packs. I use my cage mounts with salsa anything cages so need to be able to use the mounts. I don't think a lunchbox would fit well in the slimmer frame bag, the fat bike bag would be too wide for a normal bike.

djb1971

Legendary Member
You could get saddle loops for your current saddle or even a brooks:ohmy:

Then fit a carradice saddle bag, lots of sizes to fit stuff into.

young Ed

Veteran
not got the bike luggage but i have lots of their their gear and it is all great stuff and great quality and great value for money and i expect the bike luggage will be up to the same high standards
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I don't think a lunchbox would fit well in the slimmer frame bag, the fat bike bag would be too wide for a normal bike.

Yeah, that was my concern.

You could get saddle loops for your current saddle or even a brooks:ohmy:

Then fit a carradice saddle bag, lots of sizes to fit stuff into.

This was an option I was unaware of, but I think it might be the right one for me - cheers! Are Carradice generally thought to be the best?
I'd prefer to have a good look at anything before I buy to check size, fittings etc so I guess that gives me the excuse for a good tour of some more bike shops in York when I go to pick my bike up ^_^

Top Bottom