Also is this road position safest for me on brow of hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlotte_C+ :-)

As i usually start to move into the middle from the "slow" sign, then as soon as i'm over the hill & theres no oncoming cars, i`ll move over to let cars pass. as many cars try & over take me there, even though they cant see oncoming traffic.:biggrin: like that car thats pipping at me!.;)

is this the right thing to do?

Many thanks again

http://media.putfile.com/Hill-31

gbb

Legendary Member
Thats a difficult situation for everone. I have a similar hill on my ride, but not as troublesome as yours.
Blind bend, blind hill, thin road, poor vision because of the shadows...its all against you and the cars.
Difficult conditions in mind, i think your positioning is about right. Closer to the edge, and cars will try to squeeze through, when there appears to be precious little room.
You are going to pee them off, thats inevitable, but those conditions make some car drivers nervous, should i wait, go, wait, overtake, do i go over the white lines, is there a car comng, whats that bike doing...and so on. I see some drivers that really dont have the patience or confidence to make a simple, safe decision.

The only thing i could suggest is make more speed if possible and get through quicker. drivers will be less inclined to feel youre holding them up.
Look on it as strength and speed training ;).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's a hard one Charlotte, but I think you did it perfectly. What an annoying twunt beeping you there, btw. I might be tempted to point at the oncoming traffic or any blind rise sign, if other cars beep you regularly there.

I'm impressed that you have the courage to put your own riding on film and ask for criticism. That's one of the great uses of the helmet camera.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Your position looks good to me, sadly there is nothing you can do about the stupidity of some drivers. IF anything were to happen at least you have the footage from the helmet cam to show what really happened, not much consolation but better than none.

col

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with that Charlotte,the car should have held back a couple of seconds,instead he did moron mode.

Road Fiddler

What strikes me is the driver his beeping you to move out of the way. He is doing this so he can safely pass you without putting himself in danger by putting himself to far over into on coming traffic. This tells me he knows it is a blind bend on blind hill. He wants to stay safe whilst endangering you that's just ignorant on his part.

You have done very well by not getting too flustered and not giving in to him, that takes courage well done.

I think the correct answer to your question is if in doubt take the primary position to approach and pass an obstacle, you did this.

domtyler

Über Member
Looks perfect to me, just ignore the bleating from the brain dead w@nker in the car, if it was a tractor/lorry/milk float/bin lorry/car turning off etc. they don't mind, but a cyclist? A bloody cyclist, get out the effin way!! They just don't figure in my priorities at all, if they can't deal with being held up for a few seconds then they shouldn't be on the road. Just keep ding what you're doing, your safety comes top, holding up cars for a few secs is way way down the list.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Looks fine to me. Stick at it. Console yourself with the thought that Mr Pippy will probably early die of a heart attack.

To be subtley rude, get up out of the saddle and honk over the hill, thereby waving your bum in his face... Although of course, he might quite like that...

Tetedelacourse

Agreed, you did it correctly. I know it's a minor point but don't feel the need to speed up. You are not ever required to maintain a minimum average speed although in some instances I do accept that this helps with safety.

mosschops2

That is a tricky one! On the one hand I'd say I can (to a limited extent) understand the frustration of the cager - as you were going fairly slow (I'm no speed demon up hills either mind!!) - but completely overriding that factor is your safety - and given how much room the car gave you when it overtook - which was not a hell of a lot - that as much as anything shows that there is no genuinely safe option for a car to pass you, given the lack of visibility, and there is too high a chance of a car starting an overtake, and then having to swerve back in.

So definately stay where you are. Clearly hiviz etc important - as your safety is also an issue on a road where drivers may be doing 40 - and may not expect you in the middle of the road - if anything I'd tend to stay in unless there is a car behind you.

And how about a POLITE vest??!!

Generally - great job - got to stay assertive and not let other drivers put their 10 second time saving over your safety.

Tetedelacourse

Mossers, any idea where they can be got? I asked Padbeat for one but he was in the middle of a move I think and it wasn't his top priority. And now he's lost to this community.

gbb

Legendary Member
Polite vest ??? whassat then ;)

Its always occured to me a high viz with a 'friendly' gesture on the back , a smiley perhaps, would have a huge positive effect on drivers...wouldnt it ?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
Mossers, any idea where they can be got? I asked Padbeat for one but he was in the middle of a move I think and it wasn't his top priority. And now he's lost to this community.

I had his email address, so I've dropped him a line to let him know where we all are. I seem to remember he was due to do some submarining, so he may be well out of reach of the internet...

Tetedelacourse

that's no excuse!

Thanks Archdeacon. I had emailed him too but he said he was moving house - maybe that was code for actually being in a submarine, a moving house, and I thought I shouldn't harrass him.

GBB they're crackin. Look identical to the ones the police wear, but instead of the word police it's the word polite. I followed a bloke for a few miles once thinking he was old bill when he had one on. til I got close and realised.

Top Bottom