Alternative northern friday night ride to somewhere...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd love to have gone on the FNRttC, but I'm working the next day.

I'd also like to get some night riding experience in, and wonder if alone is a good way to start. (not because I'm a girl, just because of it being overnight, sleepiness, lights etc)

Anyone else in the Yorkshire posses fancy doing something? I don't have a date in mind - I'm pretty much tied up at weekends now until the end of June anyway. Just thought I'd suggest it and see what people thought, or if they had any suggestions?

Obviously, it wouldn't be on the scale of the FNRttC, in fact perhaps better not to have too many for a very informal event.

colly

Re member eR
You do realise there won't be any tea rooms and cake shops open at night. :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm up for this. Was hoping to go on the FNRTTC but i'm due to be working that weekend & it appears that newbies aren't welcome :biggrin:.
I can get Mrs Soltydog to make some cakes & i'll even bring some spare lights & tubes :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Soltydog said:
I'm up for this. Was hoping to go on the FNRTTC but i'm due to be working that weekend & it appears that newbies aren't welcome :biggrin:.
I can get Mrs Soltydog to make some cakes & i'll even bring some spare lights & tubes :smile:
sighs deeply.........

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Depending on the weekend I may be up for this. (Assuming I enjoy the FNRttC when I go to York :smile:)

Could look into a couple routes in Cumbria if people were interested too. :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
I'm up for it, as posted somewhere else I'm on leave till 5th May, but all my weekends are accounted for, so only weekdays are free, apart for the nights I play bowls now the new season has started, usually Tuesdays and Thursdays if i'm picked to play the match.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What about York to Knaresborough and back via Linton-on-Ouse? I've thought of doing a power station ride at night too because there are some fantastic power station rides.

Christopher

Über Member
hi Arch
I would like to register an interest. York is easily reachable from lovely Preston, after all...
BTW at a little over six foot I think I am too big for your trike. Lucky trike!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
I'm up for this. Was hoping to go on the FNRTTC but i'm due to be working that weekend & it appears that newbies aren't welcome :angry:.

I don't think that's the case. I think experienced riders are being asked to come forward first, so that the organisers can then work out how many others they can 'support'. From what I've heard, there's a lot to do, manning junctions and so on. It would be hard work if there were only a couple of experienced night riders, and twenty people who'd never done it before.

Ok, well, like I say, I'm busy until July, but I'll get thinking of ideas. I like the Power station idea, I've often wondered about a route taking in Drax, Eggborough and Ferrybridge.

it would be good to end up somewhere to get a good breakfast!:smile:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I dunno, I find a certain odd... not beauty exactly, but, something... about them. I like the sad fact that I can tell you which is Drax, which Eggborough and which Ferrybridge, from the numbers of towers and chimneys. And the fact that there are the three visible within a fairly small area. Coming back up North on the train, I know I'm nearly home when I see them.

This is a good pic:

84171948.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I don't think that's the case. I think experienced riders are being asked to come forward first, so that the organisers can then work out how many others they can 'support'. From what I've heard, there's a lot to do, manning junctions and so on. It would be hard work if there were only a couple of experienced night riders, and twenty people who'd never done it before.

oops :blush: yes that appears to be the case, although the op didnt read that way to me.

The power station ride sounds good :smile: I've done the power station route many times, Leeds to Goole on the train passes all three :laugh:
A full moon (or close to) would probably help with vision & i'm guessing a Friday or Saturday would suit most people ?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, then maybe the power stations it should be! It'll have the advantage of being pretty flat!

A route like that could be a loop. I still like the idea of doing a run to the coast from York some time, that would be one way and train back probably...

Full moon for July is 26th, for August 24th. So, the weekend of July 24th/25th is closest, and August 21/22 (that's the Sat/Sun dates, Friday could also be a goer - in fact probably better for any of us on a regular working week, as it gives Sunday for extra recovery. Although, if at work all day Friday, maybe harder to get some extra naps.

Or we could assume it'll be cloudy anyway, and forget the moon phases.

So, it's still a way off. Hopefully before then, I'll have a chance to get out and recce all or some of a route - or if anyone else fancies looking at it (or another idea?) in the mean time, feel free, and we can pool suggestions and info.

Catering of course will be tricky - I wonder if there's a motorway/main road service station anywhere that might be open 24 hours, something accessible by bike of course...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Catering of course will be tricky - I wonder if there's a motorway/main road service station anywhere that might be open 24 hours, something accessible by bike of course...
I think the M62 services at Ferrybridge might be accesable by bike :biggrin:

Top Bottom