Alternative Schwalbe G ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,
Spent some of the day plugging my tubeless tyres after a ride yesterday, 3 punctures, so just wondering if there is a more robust tyres out there for light off road and rough road use . Not off road I use my mtb for that.
Thanks

fossala

Guru
Hi all,
Spent some of the day plugging my tubeless tyres after a ride yesterday, 3 punctures, so just wondering if there is a more robust tyres out there for light off road and rough road use . Not off road I use my mtb for that.
Thanks
I used gravel kings but I don't know if they are tougher. I'm on G ones at the moment on my commuter, no issue.

If your main priority is toughness look at the continental touring plus. Very strong but also heavy and a bit dead feeling.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
e

I like these Vittoria Revolution G+ Graphene tyres, only covered approximately 1500 miles on the 700c x 38mm version, they feel very grippy, no punctures yet but they are slightly more sluggish than the 23mm slicks they replaced. Planet X have the 28mm for £9.99 less 10% with code PLANETXMAS.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre

Mark pallister

Ha e a look at the Vittoria range ,I use a dry on the back and a wet on the front
went up tubeless no probs and have proved durable up to now,saying that I have g ones on my grail no probs

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not tubeless, but my Vittoria Randoneur Pros' have covered approx 4500 miles without a single puncture. Rear has been swapped to the front because the puncture protection layer (bright red) is showing and done at least 500 miles since and still haven't flinched. They truly are tough as old boots, have used them off-road and had urban abuse (pot holes and flights of steps, etc) but just refuse to die. I have since bought 2 pairs of the current equivalent (Seem to be being phased out and only available in wired form now...:sad: Guess they were just too long lasting and could t sell enough of them?) in case they stop production altogether. Just hope the new ones prove to be as good when the originals finally get to the end of their life....
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/page-589#post-5752906

That strip of red is now nearly continuous :ohmy:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I changed from G Ones to Gravel Kings. Schwalbe should be ashamed of the G Ones. Gravel Kings are excellent. 4000km over all sorts of gravel without any problems

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks all. I’m a tubeless beginner and so I’m not too impressed with the technology. Off on a ride now to test my 3 plugs I’ve installed. I should add that I am fairly limited as my wheels are 650b unless I swap up to 700.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I changed to tubeless and then back to tubes. I can change a tube in pitch black in a howling gale in 5 minutes.

Tubeless? No chance.

DRM

Guru
I changed to tubeless and then back to tubes. I can change a tube in pitch black in a howling gale in 5 minutes.

Tubeless? No chance.
This in spades, my gut feeling is with a patch kit, spare tube & pump you're covered for all eventualities, even if you split a tyre you can fudge a repair with something, tubeless goes badly wrong it's shanks pony.

currently using Terravail Ramparts on the commuter,a few cuts and nicks but no other issues and seem good on wet and greasy roads.

Had two sets of G-ones and they don't last very long.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Well I counted 4 holes I needed to plug in my G-ones so I'd say I'd say they're not in the best state, still something to do Christmas Day.
I'm liking the Terravail Ramparts. I have a gravel bike but tend to use it mainly on roads, which are quite rough in places.

Top Bottom