Alternative to cockney rhyming????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Rhythm Thief said:
The other slang Londoners used to use in days of yore was backslang. This involved simply spelling the words backwards. So beer was "reeb" and a boy was a "yob". Which is where we get the word from, of course.
Ouyay ancay aketay ackslangbay ustjay oneway agestay urtherfay
ybay addingway 'ay' otay ethay endway ofway ethay ordway osay
atthay 'eer'bay ecomesbay 'eerbay'. Ordsway eginningbay
ithway away owelvay - ustjay addway 'ay' andway ithway omesay
ordsway addway 'ay'.

Glad you PM'd me with the explanation of all that Mr Hippo. Isn't that a slightly different thing? I can't remember what it's called, but if it's what I'm thinking of it's a coded language used by gay men in the days before it was generally acceptable to be gay. Or maybe not, perhaps I'm wrong (about the language, that is, not the acceptability of being gay).

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
RT - it's called, amongst other things, Pig Latin. A few of us were very proficient in it in school. I was at a friend's house and we did not want his Dad to understand what we were talking about so we used Pig Latin, guess what? His Dad did and we thought that we invented it!

Slightly off topic. When my eldest was about 4 years old, my ex and I were discussing Christmas presents so I said"What about buying her a b-i-k-e?" My daughter's reply "I'd love a bike."

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Rhythm Thief said:
Glad you PM'd me with the explanation of all that Mr Hippo. Isn't that a slightly different thing? I can't remember what it's called, but if it's what I'm thinking of it's a coded language used by gay men in the days before it was generally acceptable to be gay. Or maybe not, perhaps I'm wrong (about the language, that is, not the acceptability of being gay).

Polari
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I can only think of three instances of 'freestlye' rhyming slang that we tdr1nka's use.
Two of them are names for bank notes, Deep Sea Diver - a fiver and an Ayrton Senna - a tenner.

The mainstay tho is 'Arthur', a shortend version of 'ARTHUR F*CKSSAKES!'

Tx

walker

Melvil said:
Not sure if this is an urban myth or not but apparently this is the longest multiply rhyming derivation of cockney slang:

Phrase: 'I've fallen on me 'arris'
Arris = Aristotle
Aristotle = Bottle
Bottle + Glass = Arse

that is cockney slang

U

User482

My nan had a highly evolved version of cockney slang that resulted in such classics as "stairs" being referred to as "fruit"

Top Bottom