Alternative to cockney rhyming????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Barry = Barry White = Sh*te. "Don't give me any of that Barry!"

My dad used to refer to the "Tex Ritters" = Skitters. It's a Scottish word for[SIZE=-1]Diahorrea. "The dug's goat the Tex Ritters again"

No idea who Tex Ritter is/was.
[/SIZE]

Melvil

Not sure if this is an urban myth or not but apparently this is the longest multiply rhyming derivation of cockney slang:

Phrase: 'I've fallen on me 'arris'
Arris = Aristotle
Aristotle = Bottle
Bottle + Glass = Arse

Having escaped from London some years ago I HATE cockney rhyming slang. Problem is it lures you in as you feel you need to find the link into the word (some of which are a bit odd)

A wristwatch becomes "Kettle" so unless you know try to work it out!

Even more annoying is people (not you lot here as we are talking about it not using it) who use the whole alternative - Stairs should just be called "Apples" not "Apples and Pears".

It was supposed to be a code to stop toffs (probably only really thick ones) knowing what your jolly Cock-a-nee was talking about.

There are alternates for some words already - A Wig can be a Syrup or an Irish.

So time is up on Watch connection ...
Kettle and Hob was Fob as in Fob watch which was replaced by a wristwatch.

The others are Syrup of Figs and Irish Jig if you still have the will to live at this stage.

What a load of Pony Rhyming slang is.

Keith Oates

Janner
'Jimmy Riddle' or 'James Riddel' is one that comes to mind but I don't know if it's Cockney or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other slang Londoners used to use in days of yore was backslang. This involved simply spelling the words backwards. So beer was "reeb" and a boy was a "yob". Which is where we get the word from, of course.
I also like "barker" for pistol and "giggling pin" for penis. George MacDonald Fraser books - especially "Black Ajax" - are a rich source of such expressions.

QuickDraw

There's loads of Glasgow ones but I'm struggling to remember them at the moment but here's a few:

chucky stanes - weans (that's children btw)
Mick Jagger - lager
pineapple - chapel
Scooby doo - clue - as in "Ah huvnae a Scooby"

and my favourite - Shereen Nanjiani.

Aussies often ask 'How's it hanging?' as a greeting, like the English (southern) 'Alright?'
Hanging as in Hanging Hill Rock; rock, well you can work that out yourselves.
But I'm not too sure why they're interested in the state of one's penis! :biggrin:

papercorn2000

QuickDraw said:
There's loads of Glasgow ones but I'm struggling to remember them at the moment but here's a few:

chucky stanes - weans (that's children btw)
Mick Jagger - lager
pineapple - chapel
Scooby doo - clue - as in "Ah huvnae a Scooby"

and my favourite - Shereen Nanjiani.

She used to be everyone's favourite! Until I met her close up, she has really bad skin.

The one I like just now is the Haw Maws! As in a boot in the ...

Top Bottom