Alternative to Mallorca?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
Looking at booking a Holiday for wifey and I mid October. For me needs good cycling options (road) For her needs nice weather pool restaurants etc. Went to Mallorca this time last year and once this year so looking for an alternative (been to Tenerife and Minorca so not there) Mallorca just seems to have it all so its hard to pick somewhere else. Mainland Spain possibly near the Sierra Nevada mountains looks good but where to stay without having a 2 hour ride to get to the interesting bits? Suggestions welcome.

sight-pin

Veteran
Google maps shows some possible places to stay if the link works, https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zz-3CH6lR_9w.k-0GAti6MYaE&hl=en_US

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I recently came back from a family holiday with Brittany Ferries to Cantabria. Stayed only 30 mins from the ferry port. There were loads of roadies all over the place because of the excellent roads and mountain scenery. Plenty of exciting climbs and mountain gorges. Coast is beautiful too. Worth a look ?

User269

In October, the Costa Blanca is a good alternative to Mallorca. (@ColinJ amongst others know this area well). Stay in Calpe, Moraira, or Denia. Or even Benidorm, from where you can access all the amazing inland rides. If you want to be closer to the 'action' try the Jalon valley; Alcalali, Parcent, Jalon (good variety of restaurants), all within the stunning mountainous and quiet region. I think it's one of the greatest cycling regions in the world, although having said that, I'm off to Mallorca again in a couple of weeks; 16th visit and I never tire of the riding in the S/SW of the island.

If you want a cycling package, as opposed to just booking your own hotel or self catering, try Moraira Cycling and Citrus Cycling.

In Jalon last Novemeber we stayed here, within walking distance of the town, and immediate access to glorious rides.

We've also stayed in Guadalest at a very cycling friendly and superb little hotel up in the mountains.

Fly to Alicante, or ferry to Bilbao or Santander, and a nice drive down.

We liked Tuscany in October also, but the weather is perhaps a little less reliable, and the cycling isn't as good imho.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Rhyl.
Close to Snowdonia.
Rhyl sun centre.
Fish & chips.
Upmarket accomodation.
Beach.
That's a thread closer for sure!

On a serious note, where do you stay in Mallorca? We usually go around Pollensa but have stayed inland at places like Sa Pobla and Bunyola before, still close enough to the beach but more Mallorquin..... And you can do a few different rides to the usual.

Nerja. Flatish coast rides plus some mountains very close and an excellent bike shop to hire a bike from. Loads of great restaurants but if you're clever you can just go to the tapas bars and get free food all night long.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
We came back from Barcelona a few weeks ago and although I only cycled along the beach there are some great climbs and cycling in the region. and obviously good restaurants.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Off to Catania, Sicily in a couple of weeks. Good flights, cheap accommodation, very good weather, excellent food and wine. Mount Etna for hardcore climbing, plenty of lumpy stuff and also nice, flat coastal routes to Messina and Siracusa

Top Bottom