Alternative to shimano single sided spd pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A600 and A 520 pedals are getting hard to find and TBH the new es600 pedals i have seen the review i read says that they dont hang right .
Do any other manufacturers do a single sided spd pedals that would fit the bill ?

either keep an eye on ebay for your old favourites or go es600 and tap with your toe before clipping in.

Eustar PR 50 looks like they will have same issue as Es600 from the shape / minimal "back end" to the pedal.

Fastpedaller

I understand what OP is aiming for now. IMHO it looks like the A520's are better because they have flats for a pedal spanner, unlike the es600's which only have the facility for an fallen key.
OP - here's a pair on Ebay :smile:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26611359...GZY=|tkp:Bk9SR-SbzOHEYQ&LH_ItemCondition=1000

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@cyberknight - do you want new and shiny, or would these do...?

View attachment 405090

I have just realised that the scratches on the undersides of those pedals were NOT caused by grounding the pedals, as I had first thought. They would be caused by the metal cleats slipping on the inverted pedals when trying to clip in!
They are currently on my turbo trainer bike and I have only used it once in the past year so I could do without them and stick flat pedals on the bike.

I think that they are mechanically sound. If you are interested I will check them.

ColinJ

I think that the pedals are ok, but I could feel some play in the bearings, especially on the right hand side. You might have to replace the bearings in the not too distant future. If you still want the pedals, PM me your details and I will get them in the post to you. If not, I'll keep them on my turbo bike.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think that the pedals are ok, but I could feel some play in the bearings, especially on the right hand side. You might have to replace the bearings in the not too distant future. If you still want the pedals, PM me your details and I will get them in the post to you. If not, I'll keep them on my turbo bike.

through here and elsewhere i have got hold of 2 pairs so im not desperate , keep them on the turbo if you like and thank you for the offer .

ColinJ

through here and elsewhere i have got hold of 2 pairs so im not desperate , keep them on the turbo if you like and thank you for the offer .
That's good. The bearings will probably see me through quite a few more years because I am not a turbo trainer fan, but I think heavy road use might finish them off in one or two seasons.

D

Deleted member 121159

I'm a bit confused. I didn't know these things existed. What's the point in them, as in why would you not want either the double sided one or one where the non-clipless side has a proper platform for normal trainers like M324 or T8000?

edit: Sorry, ignore me, you've already answered this question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wooger

the pedals i am after have a bigger platform than m520s ( which i use for commuting ) , i can do long rides on that sort of pedal but prefer the bigger platform and the weight saving the pedal style i am after especially when clocking up bigger miles

A platform doesn't do anything on an spd, I'd be surprised if your shoes even touch it. Get better shoes and upgrade to double sided so you can stamp down to clip in at any angle.

Top Bottom